Re: Large data usage transfer every 6 hours while on a WiFi network, who is doing this transfer? Is Verizon polling my phone causing this usage?
Weth
Legend

Your phone is not polled every 6 hours to report data use, the cell towers report at 6 hour intervals if the data has not been uploaded yet. That is why you can have a phone sitting on wifi next to you and get a report of data going over. The data was used up to 6 hours ago, but is only being reported at that time from the cell tower.

Re: Large data usage transfer every 6 hours while on a WiFi network, who is doing this transfer? Is Verizon polling my phone causing this usage?
grovecityoh

I/we are having this exact same problem! with what seems to be 'only' my daughter's phone line! I say phone line, because we've gone thru two Nokia 928 Windows phones and have recently switched her to the Apple 5s only to have the same data loads every 6 hrs on all her phones! I even printed the pages of data usage which cleary show times of data use and showed rep's at local Verizon store. they all said she was probably downloading apps that updated every 6 hrs, or was maybe watching youtube all the time, etc,.... She is starting a new job soon and thinking of going to a different service provider and gave the phone & ph-line to her grandfather. I guess this will be the real test to verify her not downloading things or watching youtube etc, my dad pretty much only knows how to answer the phone!...and I will owe my daughter a very big apology if these data uses continue every 6 hrs.

after reading this thread, I am very tempted to forward it to '6onyourside.com, or someplace to look more deeply into! I had to upgrade my Data from 2GB (which I hardly ever got close to using up for years) to 3GB which is an extra $10/mth,$120/yr! ......, I wonder how many others had to do the same!

i'll forward your suggestions kchristi to my daughter-thanks!.....although, what's the point of data time tracking if it's only going to update every 6hrs?

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

So you are sharing a 3 GB pool of data?   How many phones are sharing this data pool?  How often is she home on wifi?   ( like many teens, I figure she is home to sleep only )

have you looked into her phone?

open settings

select cellular data

scroll down to see which apps are using cellular data.  Apps are listed in decending order of use.

you will note a switch at the right of each app.  Non essential apps can be switched to off.

social media apps and other apps listed will say "settings for these apps are within the app"

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If it as different phone mode,s and operating systems, it was your daughter using the data.  Give the grandfather the phone, erase it and start over like from the store and you will see very little data use. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Weth and I agree.  3 phones with the same problem and same user, it's not the phones or the service.  If you are sharing 3 GBS, and she uses 2-2.5 GBS that is normal for a busy young person on the go.

0 Likes
grovecityoh

reply to #13,...the point is, I am not going to change anything about the phone for a month or two, watch the phone line data usage.

reply to #14, ...this is the old standby 'process of elimination' to get to the bottom of this...meaning if Verizon can't take the time to sit down with a paying customer to explain what these every 6hr data usages are, the process of elimination includes their service... I can see in cases, the cost of termination fee would be less than trying to keep up with the data charges... With no real definite answers, this causes stress in families,...."eliminate the stress".

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The 6 hour cycle is not usage, it's data reporting/ collection.  It is most noticable at night as noone is using their phone because they are asleep.

I will say again, it isn't the phone if she has had 3 phones and the problem persists.  It isn't the carrier if her line is the only one with a problem.

Show your daughter how to manage her data, give her a cap.  Turn usage warnings on both phones so you both know when she is reaching the limit.   Call Verizon and turn off data on her line after one warning.  It can be turned on at the start of the next billing period.  It will not prevent phone calls.  I found this was a lesson that did not need repeating.

grovecityoh

I will say again, what's the point of data time tracking if it's only going to update every 6hrs? ....do you work for Verizon?.... we've gone thru the data cap on her ph., set for warnings (which work, but also offer more data for 'only' $10 or $15), turned off cellular data when not connected to wifi, turned off 'background' cellular data, turned off ph. overnight, during charging, not used ph. for periods of time, the data loads persist. Thanks for trying to help and the encouragement, but I choose to trust my daughter more than a conglomerate of cellular carriers picking my pocket.

I still plan to print data pages for that line for a month or two during grandfather's use.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Employees are clearly identified, so no, I'm not.  You are not understanding.  Just like the meter reader for electric company, Verizon collects (reads) your data use.  It doesn't add to your data use anymore than the electric meter reader does.

From your post, I gather you have at least 2 phones with only 3 GBS of data, increased from only 2 gbs.  I think you can apologize to your daughter now.   For a different reason.   2 GBS per phone is considered normal use.   If she is a student and has been applying for work, she surely has to use the phone as a tool, not as entertainment, throughout her day, on cellular.

Smart phones made today use more data than the first "smart phones" of 4-5 years ago.   If it bothers you that much, have her pay the $20 for more data, she will be paying the entire bill soon enough.   

Once ce your dad takes over the phone or line, you will see a dramatic drop in use.  My mother has an iPhone on my account and barely uses any data.

0 Likes
Frustratedx10000000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues.  We have 4 iphones on our plan and only one has this issue.  We have wifi and can document each time this phone has been in my home with cellular data OFF and still charges for data.  My son cannot use his data at all because someone/something is using it for him.  I've probably spent $500 over the last few years just in overage charges that NEVER should have been incurred.  My teenage daughter, who is on her phone CONSTANTLY, has never ever gone over her data.  This is an obvious issue based on the 100's of entries in the community forum. 

0 Likes