Let's beat this 2 death: family plan, upgrade one line to iphone 5, switch back, keep unlimited. Y or N?
ihop23947
Enthusiast - Level 3

As if this hasn't been discussed enough, but let's lay it out and make it clear as can be. If you have a family share plan with multiple phones - let's say 3, can you upgrade a line that isn't a smartphone to an iphone 5 and then switch the iphone 5 to the line you want? The only problem I can see is they would make you buy the data plan on the upgrade and treat it as a new contract. Or would they? Can't really have a smartphone with out it. I would hate to have a perfectly good iphone 4 doing nothing. Or is the way to go to upgrade a line to the iphone 5, transfer the iphone 5 to the line I want and just activate the old phone on that line avoiding the new data plan?

Sorry to make it so confusing, I swear I tried to simplify it! lol

Thanks for any help on this. Like everyone else I just want to keep my unlimited plan AND think I deserve too. We had a deal.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Let's beat this 2 death: family plan, upgrade one line to iphone 5, switch back, keep unlimited. Y or N?
fergieg
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, a LOT of people will do what you are doing. However, you won't have to do all the work. Just take the upgrade that is available and do an "alternate upgrade" on your line. You will lose the unlimited data.

The only option that *might*, once again, *might* let you keep the unlimited data would be following:

1. Upgrade the line that is eligible for an upgrade (let's say line X) to an iPhone 5 (will add data plan)

2. Once you have the iPhone 5, activate an old non-smartphone on line X (this will remove data)

3. Activate the iPhone on the intended line.

Re: Let's beat this 2 death: family plan, upgrade one line to iphone 5, switch back, keep unlimited. Y or N?
budone
Legend

I believe this is the 10th time this has been answered in 8 hours.   All with the same answer, yet the question gets asked again......

0 Likes
ihop23947
Enthusiast - Level 3

And what part of let's beat this to death did you not understand? lol Yes it is! Problem is I didn't like any of the explanations and really I don't think anyone knows what will happen.

What verizon wants - as usual, is more cash. Squeezing everyone like an orange while kissing your butt to make you feel appreciated and valuable. Like they are working for you. I suspect the only way this iphone5 thing will work is upgrading a phone, switching the iphone for another number and putting the old iphone or a smartphone on the upgraded line. I suspect that data plan will have to stay locked in for 2 years and thus ladies and gentlemen is their profit!

Offering unlimited data for only 2 years was NOT in my contract. I smell a class action. We need one of this fancy book learners to help us out. : P

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

unlimited data isn't part of the original contract anyway...  If they really want to be done with it they don't have to grandfather it in after 2 years.  They are giving you the option in 2 ways.  upgrade using another line or buy the device outright.

Most people wouldn't put their old devices on the line they upgraded... They'd put back their original device(more than likely a basic phone) which doesn't yield a whole lot of money...  Most people would sell the 4 or 4S for a few hundred to offset purchasing the new iPhone...  Or even paying the ETF after 31 days on that line if they sold it for around $300-350.

0 Likes
Johnsr31
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen all the post about the loophole that will allow me to keep my unlimited data. If it works great but the loophole seems way to easy. Its still worth a try but I'm just saying

0 Likes
BDA
Contributor - Level 1

I just did this for my 4s. I upgraded a basic phone to the iphone then immediately switched the iphone to my line that already had unlimited data. Then switched the basic phone back onto the upgraded line. Yes the basic phone contract is extended. I went to a Verizon corporate store and the guy did this for me. It was quite easy and he had no problem doing and totally understood why I wanted to keep my unlimited data. I don't think you want to transfer the upgrade to your line, keep it on the "dumb" phone line and switch the phones around.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can help you with questions about your upgrade, ihop23947! You can purchase the iPhone 5, activate the phone on your number and keep unlimited data. Lastly, your old phone can be activated on the new line! Have a great day!

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
linzypooh49

Can you help me with it too?? Even after I already upgraded?? \

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sure linzypooh49! What's going on with your account? I'm here to help.

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes