Moving from Sprint to Verizon on iPhone 5
mushiba
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm hoping to get my iPhone 5 from Verizon around 10/19 (or at least shipped by).  I've got 2 numbers I want to port over from Sprint to Verizon once I get my iPhones in the mail.  Anybody know the best way to do that?  I'm assuming that calling up Verizon and asking them to port the numbers over would be the first thing to do, but any tips on ending the contract with Sprint?  Any what happens while Verizon is moving my number over?  Does my Sprint phone automatically get a new number?  Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving from Sprint to Verizon on iPhone 5
deadragon
Enthusiast - Level 2

okay i used to work for sprint for 10 years. now the only way you can port your number over is if the account is at a zero balance. now if the account does not have an balance you can call verizon and have them set up the port. the rep will adv you it can take up to 3 weeks for the number to be ported over. now you have to call sprint and have them accepted the port( by the way theres an order number for the port GET THAT NUMBER). onces it sprint gets off there ass you will have your number in a matter of hours. if the account is still active you will recive a different number. there is no real way of getting out of there contract unless they dont have wi-max in your area or you dont get service at work and at home.

hope that answers all your questions. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
deadragon
Enthusiast - Level 2

okay i used to work for sprint for 10 years. now the only way you can port your number over is if the account is at a zero balance. now if the account does not have an balance you can call verizon and have them set up the port. the rep will adv you it can take up to 3 weeks for the number to be ported over. now you have to call sprint and have them accepted the port( by the way theres an order number for the port GET THAT NUMBER). onces it sprint gets off there ass you will have your number in a matter of hours. if the account is still active you will recive a different number. there is no real way of getting out of there contract unless they dont have wi-max in your area or you dont get service at work and at home.

hope that answers all your questions. 

0 Likes
mushiba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'll make sure I get the order number.  I've been with Sprint for 12 years, but paying about the same as I would be for Verizon, plus I would get the LTE.  Thanks for the help.  Hopefully I won't have to wait 3 weeks for the number to port over, or for my iPhones.

deadragon
Enthusiast - Level 2

if you been with sprint that long you might not have an E.T.F check in to your contract on sprint.com. its kind of tricky on how to get to the contract but you can check your ETF

0 Likes
mushiba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, I have an EFT on one line ending on Nov. 1st and on another line in 2013.  I'll be paying out of pocket for that unless they want to give me a farewell present for 12 years of loyalty.  Hmm. . . not so sure on that.

0 Likes
mushiba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry to ask, but how long between porting my Sprint number to Verizon should I wait to cancel my contract with Sprint?  Should I wait a few days to make sure everything is fine?  Also, when I activate my new iPhones, is there harm in trying them out with the numbers that were assigned to them for a day before porting my Sprint numbers to them?  I don't know if Verizon charges for porting numbers after a certain period of time after activation.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thought porting a number to another carrier would automatically cancel the old carrier contract/line?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jaymeson
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are right, when porting a number over the line or lines from your old carrier should disconnect automatically because there is no number attached to that line or lines any longer

0 Likes
jaymeson
Enthusiast - Level 2

The line should automatically disconnect with Sprint, Verizon will not charge you for porting your number. It is your number and you have rights to keep it, there is no charge. The only charge you will have is the last months bill with the old carrier.

0 Likes
jaymeson
Enthusiast - Level 2

It DOES NOT take up to 3 weeks for a port. The longest amount of time to wait is 3-4 days. Usually they can be completed overnight and you will recieve a text message on your VZW phone telling you that the port has b een completed and to power cycle your phone. When you call Verizon to start the port they will want your Sprint account number and the PIN number associated with that account. They will than ask you for the numbers that you want to port. Most cases it takes about a day, maybe two. Once the port completes you turn off your Sprint phones and than you power cycle your VZW devices. If it's a 4G device you may need to power cycle twice. Once the port is complete your services with Sprint will automatically disconnect and if there is an ETF than you would pay that on your final bill....Hope this helps!

0 Likes