Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
cbruner324

My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?  My family doesn't use Verizon and I would like to know if I could get it unlocked.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I have read on these forums where it will work on other US carriers, even though Apple claims otherwise. You may not get full functionality, though, as the radios/frequencies utilized by the different carriers may not be the same.

View solution in original post

Re: My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
Not applicable

I cannot say for certain if it can function on a US carrier. I know the Congress passed a law that says carriers must allow unlocking.

Have your aunt call Verizon while she is the customer and see if it will be unlocked.

Good Luck

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I have read on these forums where it will work on other US carriers, even though Apple claims otherwise. You may not get full functionality, though, as the radios/frequencies utilized by the different carriers may not be the same.