My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
cbruner324
Enthusiast - Level 1

My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?  My family doesn't use Verizon and I would like to know if I could get it unlocked.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
rcschnoor
Legend

I have read on these forums where it will work on other US carriers, even though Apple claims otherwise. You may not get full functionality, though, as the radios/frequencies utilized by the different carriers may not be the same.

View solution in original post

Re: My aunt is giving me her iPhone 5 once she gets her upgrade, could I get it unlocked so I could use it on a different carrier?
Not applicable

I cannot say for certain if it can function on a US carrier. I know the Congress passed a law that says carriers must allow unlocking.

Have your aunt call Verizon while she is the customer and see if it will be unlocked.

Good Luck

rcschnoor
Legend

I have read on these forums where it will work on other US carriers, even though Apple claims otherwise. You may not get full functionality, though, as the radios/frequencies utilized by the different carriers may not be the same.