Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?
holmzee

I'm seeing the same issue. With my previous iPhone 4 on AT&T I never reached beyond about 1.2GB in a month.

Now after a week or less I'm at 2.4GB.  I have not used my phone in a significantly different way than I ever have. Yes, I'll allow for a little higher usage for it being new and my being new to LTE and doing speedtests, etc. and general playing- but since monday it's been back to normal which is to say basically work wifi to home wifi with only about 10-15 minutes between of driving.  This should not accelerate my usage to the extent that I'm seeing.  My wife on the other hand has also been using her new iPhone 5 and has logged about 200MB.  She spends more time away from wifi than I do.

For what it's worth- I have a 16GB Black and she has a 16GB White.

0 Likes
JohnAppleseed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in an WiFI zone most of the time and have only averaged 300 MB of data use for past six months. I've already used 80 MB in just a few days with the iPhone 5 even though I haven't used my phone much at all while outside WiFi. I called Verizon and they said it is a known issue. In the meantime, I was advised to make the following change to my setting when connected to WiFi:

Settings > General > Cellular > Turn Cellular Data OFF

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The way Apple has it setup when the screen shuts off the wifi sleeps automatically.  It has been that way since the original iPhone.  You will fall back on cellular network and if any of your apps poll for data it will do so on cellular.  It's a "known issue" as Apple has been aware of it for the past few years and still hasn't done anything about it.

JohnAppleseed
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is clearly a different issue. In just a couple of days, I have used almost a 1/3 of the data that I normally use in a month. My Verizon data report shows that I used 17MB of data yesterday at 5:30 a.m. when I was deep asleep.

0 Likes
mrsocalguy

When your at home take your cellular data off so it will only use your wifi

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
cinnamon013
Enthusiast - Level 2

We spoke at length with an Apple rep last night.  We were transferred to them from a Verizon Wireless rep.  He is looking into this issue.  He stated that we should not have to turn off cellular data to prevent it from being engaged.  However, that is what we are doing for now while he is researching it for us.  It seems that all of our usage while at home on wifi is being recorded by Verizon as data usage.  Not just the partial second when the LTE might kick in, but the whole time we are surfing.  So he is looking at it and I suggest everyone who has higher than normal data usage call Apple directly.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If your phone is on while sleeping, you will receive updates to GB, Weather, Email, News and such. So yes it is not hard to use 17MB's while sleeping

0 Likes
Mansam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is that something only with Verizon? I had an iPhone 4 with AT&T & data NEVER ran off my phone while it was sleeping. I always checked my usage & in a little over 2 years, at never was the case with me.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

FYI GB was supposed to be FB as in Facebook

0 Likes
JohnAppleseed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I leave the phone on while sleeping, but this is no different than my behavior with the 4s and 4 before that. If you are on the 1GB like me and were to divide your data equally among the 30 days in a cycle, 17MB is half your daily allotment. Like I said before, I averaged 300MB of data use in the previous 6 months. That's only 10 MB per day. Having to turn off cellular data every time I walk into my house is not an acceptable alternative.

0 Likes