Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Except that's what I do every day because I chose to on my Nexus and other smartphones. When I look at MyVerizon account online and my data transfer statistics, I can definitely tell when my phone uses the cellular data connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
LA-Jim
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've experienced this issue as well. I just saw this article, which may be of help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526

I just did this. Let's hope it resolves the issue.

JohnAppleseed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for posting this link. I have contacted both Apple and Verizon about this issue and neither company has followed up with me. I just installed the update and I'll be watching my data usage closely to see if it works.

homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

Check out this link It tells you how to do update that is suppose to fix this problem. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/30/apple-releases-carrier-update-for-verizon-iphone-5/

Mansam
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did that fix last night & didn't turn my cellular data off when I went to bed. It worked for me when I checked it this morning - no data usage during the night! I think the fix is on!

Thank you Apple & Verizon

MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

The fix did not work for me. I actually had data usage show up while I was actively using WiFi (phone not asleep).

0 Likes
tophand576

I checked this morning and my iPhone 5 shoed Verizon 13.1 and didn't have a prompt to update. Did it do it on its own? Also, does anyone think VZW is going to do anything for people that this issue affected, which will probably be a large number of customers? I don't use a lot of data at all. My wife and I have never used more than 2 GB a months the last 2 years on android phones and now we are at nearly 1.5 GB after 10 days. We are on Wi-Fi at home and she is on Wi-Fi at work all day.

0 Likes
Mimi80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so I'm a little confused.  After this update is it still necessary to have wi-fi on all the time in order for it not to consume cellular data?  Or do I still have to manually turn cellular data on/off when I'm not on wi-fi?  I guess the question I'm asking is if it has an active wi-fi connection will it defualt to wi-fi or does it always use up cellular data? 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If you have wifi turned on, it should default to wifi if there is a signal available which you have already connected to.

If you had not connected to that source previously, depending on your settings, your phone may ask you if you would like to connect.

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

Came across this article this morning. Looks like Verizon has updated something and we all just need to do a couple quick things on our end to update our phones. http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/30/verizon-iphone-5-carrier-update-to-eliminate-data-usage-while-connecte...

Seems like those who care about the data lost by this issue will need to contact VZW to see how they plan to address the lost data.

0 Likes