Re: My iPhone 5 is on wifi, but it's still using up data, help?
marine3228
0 Likes
Jeff4Bama
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, John.  Kind of frustrating to have to go through all of that for an "update" that you weren't having problems with in the first place anyway. 

0 Likes
GDurbano

I am on Verizon 13.1 and continue to get cellular usage while at hame and work. Both show a wifi connection I don't think they fixed the problem.  The way to stop it is to turn cellular off.

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called verizon today and they put me thru to the technical group. they took a report and said they will look into it. they had me check my version and they agreed that i was at the correct version but the data usage is still happening when i'm on wifi so i turned my cell data off last night and show no more usage. Everyone who is still having this problem needs to call verizon and let them know its still happening.

0 Likes
GDurbano

I did a test that  proves the issue still exists.  I turned on cellular, opeded mail (I have manual update on), and my messages were loaded.  I closed mail, turned cellular off, opened mail again, received a message " turn cellular on or use WiFi".

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got an escalated call in to Apple that is being passed on to their engineers for this issue on Verizon with 13.1 applied. If you use YouTube through Safari on WiFi the issue will occur every time. I am turning off data as a work around when on WiFi. I used over 1.2GB of data just in one day...

Sent from my iPhone

Jim95

I'm having problems as well.  I went through my data usage online, and my phone is using sometimes hundreds of megabytes at a time in the overnight hours when I'm home sleeping.  Don't know what it would be doing at that hour of the night anyway (I back up to my Mac, not iCloud), but it should be on WiFi anyway.

0 Likes
homeistexas
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is good. I think the same thing is happening on the 4s. I started looking at my Husbands usage and i show him with usage at 1 and 2 in the morning when I know he was sleeping and he also has his on wifi. I just never looked at his cause he still has unlimited plan. I want them to fix the problem before I upgrade my grand daughters phone in Dec. cause I can't trust her to turn cell data off.

0 Likes
Redryderm

I have the same issue, and since Verizon advertises no cellular data use when wifi is connected, AND since they decided to eliminate our unlimited data with the upgrade to iphone, they should fix it or restore our previous unlimited data plans.

I have spoken to Verizon (<Deleted>) and all they want to do is restore the phone to factory settings, which is nothing but a putoff.

I spent thirty years in the data industry and this is nothing short of delaying tactics.

I also have a case open with Apple. Case number: <Deleted>

Their explanation is that Verizon is sending "Connection Touches" to see if we are still connected. (Nothing short of gouging)

Last night. I turned OFF,  Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data

I did not have Cellular Data used.

On my wife's phone, I left Cellular Data on and it used cellular data.

I strongly suggest that EVERYONE insist on an OPEN Problem Case with Verizon to have this fixed.

We all attempt to find our own solution, but Verizon then says "We do not have problems reported for this issue"

The squeaky wheel gets the grease............

<Post edited to removed personal information per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Redryderm

The phone does not control all the data usage.

Verizon CAN and DOES communicate directly to your phone via simm card.

0 Likes