My iphone 5 is using more data than in the first few days of having it, on WiFi.
torilynn96
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I got my iPhone 5 last week and now I got a text message this morning saying I've used more than 50% of my 2GB of data. Now i've pretty much been home and I always have my phone on WiFi .. I'm not even on the internet with it that much or at all when I'm home. On my last phone, with unlimited data I only used about 1 GB in the overall month and not in the first few days of having it. What could be going on?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: My iphone 5 is using more data than in the first few days of having it, on WiFi.
davidangie26101

Make sure your iOS is up to date. 6.0.2 i think.  Users had huge problems once iOS 6 was released.  I havent had any since updating.

Also, if your worried about hitting the data ceiling again, get Onavo in the app store.  Its a data compression program that compresses you data when you are not on wifi.  I am in my first full month of using it on 3 iphones, so time will tell.

0 Likes
Re: My iphone 5 is using more data than in the first few days of having it, on WiFi.
torilynn96
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is updated to iOS 6.0.2 and I guess i'll try that, this new data plan is so stupid..

rdtqgarcia
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem. We just switched to Verizon less than a week ago, and always use the data with WiFi. There is no way we could have used 2 GB of data already. Is there something else besides the WiFi button that we need to change in settings (iphone 5). I must be missing something.

0 Likes
stinsons

You can go under settings-->general-->cellular and change it to off.  Your phone won't connect to the network to use any data unless you change the settings.  You can still make calls and send texts. Also if they pro-rate your plan, they don't give you a full 2 GB, they give you some percent of it.  For instance we had 1 day until the next billing cycle when we switched our plan and we were given ~.08 GB of data to use for that day.  That may not be your issue but just an fyi to those who don't know.  I hope that helps!

0 Likes
tfphilip07
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a very frustrating situation.

0 Likes
lkwillis100

I am having the same issues. My first Iphone 5 was using Data constantly even when on WIFI and I was not using any apps. I just kept calling and finally after they had made all the attempts to fix it they could they sent me a recond phone. Now I am having the same problem with this one, I got sent to an apple tech support person and basically they told me when I was on WIFI to shut my data off. SOOOO annoying. They should have never done away with unlimited data!!

0 Likes