My iphone 5 shut off and now I can't turn it back on..
jenar

I have had my iphone 5 for less than a year. Within the last month, the top button on my phone has stopped working. I have figured out a way through settings to turn it off another way. Today I came home and found that my phone will no longer turn on. I tried plugging it into my charger in case the battery died, but no luck. I also called my phone to see if it had completely died, but it just rings like it normally would, and nothing shows up on the screen. I have been researching how to solve the problem. It says to do a hard reset, but obviously i can not since the top button does not work. Is there any other way to fix this, or am I better off going to the store for a new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My iphone 5 shut off and now I can't turn it back on..
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying so many things to get your phone back to normal, jenar. You've already tried almost everything I would have suggested. The only other step you might want to try is placing the phone into a recovery mode following the steps at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808. Please make sure to use a true Apple USB cable too. It may help to bring your phone back to life. This may even help to take care of the power button trouble if it's not due to hardware or damage. Speaking of, has your iPhone been exposed to any moisture or had any physical damage? Keep us posted.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your best bet is to call apple or go to apple.com and chat with a Genius Bar rep.  If there is an apple store close enough, head over there.  DO NOT deal with Verizon, deal directly with Apple!!

My son's power button on his iPhone stopped working and he had 2 weeks left of his one year warranty.  We chatted online with an Apple rep - within 4 days (with Christmas in between no less!) he had a replacement iPhone in hand.  They called (or otherwise sent the info) to the UPS store near us - all my son had to do was take the busted iPhone in - they shipped it to Apple (no cost to us at all), and the replacement was delivered 4 days later.  It was quite impressive, and I highly doubt it would have been resolved so quickly and efficiently if we had gone to Verizon.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying so many things to get your phone back to normal, jenar. You've already tried almost everything I would have suggested. The only other step you might want to try is placing the phone into a recovery mode following the steps at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808. Please make sure to use a true Apple USB cable too. It may help to bring your phone back to life. This may even help to take care of the power button trouble if it's not due to hardware or damage. Speaking of, has your iPhone been exposed to any moisture or had any physical damage? Keep us posted.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes