My son's IPhone 5C uses data while on WIFI and data turned OFF!
lady_engineer

My son's phone keeps using a ton of data, so after the last notification, I did some research.  It turns out his phone is using data even when he is home and on a strong WiFi signal.  It is even using data in the last week with his data TURNED OFF!  Is this a known issue?  How can this be fixed?  I think it's borderline fraud to have the phone use data on WiFi and especially when data is disabled.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: My son's IPhone 5C uses data while on WIFI and data turned OFF!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's imperative we take a further look, lady_engineer! It is possible for the data to be used when connected to Wi-Fi. The device may pick up on data when the device is "sleep." This is a battery saving feature enabled by Apple. It's very odd that the device is using data with cellular data turned off. Are you turning off the feature through Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data - Off. Is your son familiar with how to turn the feature back on?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Are you really saying that you had cellular data turned off on the phone (Settings/Cellular/cellular data off) for a whole week without turning it on and there was reported data use?   That does not make sense.   Is it turned on at times?  Remember the times in the log are only times the tower reports data, not the actual time it was used.  You cannot say if 200 MB is reported at 5:00 that the data was actually used at 5:00   usually the data report will inducate data used anytime between he reported time and the time noted just precious   for example:

7:05 AM  1 MB

2:05 PM   125MB

4:05 PM    20 MB

in above example, 125 MB was not at 2:05 PM! but rather during the time 7:05 to 2:05, over 7 hours  

0 Likes
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

This sounds like the issue I had with my wife 's iPhone 5c 8 GB. What I learned was that by design iPhones do turn off WiFi when they go dormant. So if a download is in progress or information is being back up wirelessly, and the phone goes dormant, it will switch to use cellular data if it is left on. Later onward I learned from Verizon and Apple that if you keep the iPhone connected to a power source, then the phone would not go dormant. Whereby, it will stay connected to the WiFi source. And after we started to keep my wife's phone connected to a power source, we have not had any real issue with excessive data usage and so forth.