No Data While on an Extended Network?
KnuckleHead1

Branched from: No Data While on an Extended Network?

So I just moved to Verizon.  I have an iPhone 5...it has worked fine for the last week or so.  I go to a cabin in the woods where I have 3-4 bars of "Extended Network".  Calls and txt's work great, but data does not.  I made sure my "use data when roaming" was on, but no luck.  I called Verizon support and was told there was no 3G or 4G coverage where I was and that there would be no data on the Extended Network.  What gets me is that I have had no less than 4 friends over the last 10 months or so that are on Verizon that get data connections at the same cabin.  One has a BlackBerry and the other three are iPhone 4's.  Why would a iPhone 4 get data and a iPhone 5 not?

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Data While on an Extended Network?
wormyhermy88
Enthusiast - Level 1

What a frustrating problem! I am experiencing something similar; I live in a rural area but still only 20 min from a significant city and at home, sitting in one spot, my banner will continuously change from "Verizon 3G" to "Verizon LTE" to "Extended 0" - at any point having between 1 and 5 signal strength bars, but almost always, I can't load data and the flowery looking circle thing just continues to cycle and eventually slows down and as soon as the screen timer goes off, the message "check data network" or something like that, appears. According to the coverage map, we are located in the center of a very small Verizon LTE Extended area surrounded by Verizon 3G area - I've also tried turning the LTE feature off in settings and still no luck. Additionally, I am experiencing ridiculous periods or delays of "sending" with out-going text messages to various types of phones and providers. A simple, word only, text message will be in "sending" mode for 10 minutes or more! When texting other iPhone users the messages randomly alternate between "iMessage" and "sent as text". Text messages and especially picture messages are frequently coming back as undelivered (although some actually go through even though the phone indicates they have not). I have called customer service (very nice BTW, thanks) and the guy I talked to did troubleshooting with me and concluded I had a phone with a faulty antennae - which resulted in receiving a refurbished replacement phone. HOWEVER... The replacement phone is doing exactly the same thing - all of these problems are exactly the issues I was encountering before. AND.... I have on frustratingly frequent basis had my husband's iPhone 4S in one hand and mine in the other and his loads no problem and quick and mine is just cycling and cycling - so i think I can reasonably assume it isn't a coverage issue. I am seriously considering asking my 6 year old son for my iPhone 4 back in exchange for this pile. I don't know if KnuckleHead1 is having ALL of those issues but the data is probably the most significant one and extremely unexpected considering the clout and reputation of the iPhone. I definitely shouldn't want to trade back to my old phone!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Those 3 or 4 bars is your 1X connection. The one Verizon uses for calls and texts. Unless your in your network settings and it says specifically 3 or 4 bars for 3G or 4G. Extended Network means poorer coverage then you say your in the woods which means trees which would degrade coverage further then if you were inside that would further degrade coverage. Verizon's coverage maps do not take into account trees or buildings or anything else that may block a signal nor does it take into account being indoors. Your "roaming" setting doesn't have anything to do with the extended network. If you were roaming you'd be using some other carriers network. You'd also be limited to 1X speeds.

0 Likes
KnuckleHead1

Sure, that makes sence, but what I dont get is why my friends phone work and mine doesnt.

0 Likes
KnuckleHead1

So I was just looking up on the coverage map and it shows the area as Extended 1X Data Coverage.  Seems it would be safe to assume it should work...no?

0 Likes
Not applicable

1X is very slow and if you're in an extended network which means I doubt you'll get a signal at all in doors. 1X is maybe twice as fast as dial-up internet on a goody day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

@KnuckleHead1,

I know it can be frustrating to be in a cabin and not be able to use your phone to access the Internet in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that while in Extended Network you are using another carriers towers and we can not guarantee service because they are not our towers.

Different phones pick up signal differently and this is why you may see your friend with service and not yours.

Where is this cabin located (zip code)? I can check the coverage.

One thing you can try is to reset the network settings http://vz.to/11T2xuR. Retest and keep me posted.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Icing1973

Just upgraded from the iphone4 to the 5c. Two days after the upgrade I had no network connectivity. Called verizon and was told that it was because when I leave my home tower area it recognizes a different tower and sometime when you get back into your home tower area it has a hard time recognizing the home tower. Power off, reset network. Solved problem. Except that THAT day I had not left my house, no tower bouncing.

Now, on day 5 of this phone I have noticed that while traveling out of town (within 60 miles of home) I'm on extended coverage or have no connectivity even with the off/on. Frustrated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on the upgrade, Icing1973. We want to make sure that you are have a great phone. What zip code are you located in? Anyone else having the same issue you are?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Icing1973

I took my phone in. It was a bad SIM card.

0 Likes