Oh Man! Verizon really let me down!!!
warrenk

I recently bought an iPhone5 after many years as a Blackberry user.  I am visiting the UK from America and my fancy and expensive new iPhone5 doesn't work here!  My Blackberry always worked in the UK and everywhere else I went.  But not my iPhone5.  No text messging.  No voice phone calls in or out.  No email.  No internet access.  No Apps that require a network connection.  Nothing.  Nada.  Even though I checked with Verizon (my mobile service provider) before I left the US for my trip and they assured me it would work.  I even called them from the UK and after 20 very expensive minutes on a land line to the US, Verizon technical support told me "Gee, I don't know why it isn't working.  I guess you're out of luck."  To this I ask the rhetorical question: "What's up with that?"

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Oh Man! Verizon really let me down!!!
rcschnoor
Legend

I assume you are not trying to use Verizon international calling plans as they are very expensive.

Have you put a local SIM card in your phone so that you can utilize the local networks?

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

I assume you are not trying to use Verizon international calling plans as they are very expensive.

Have you put a local SIM card in your phone so that you can utilize the local networks?

Wait what? You mean phones don't work by magic?

0 Likes
warrenk

I don't think you can put SIM cards in iPhones.  Also, when I called Verizon support they didn't say anything about SIM cards.  I think the phone is screwed up.  Hardware problem or more likely I need a software updgrade.  But who knows?  It could be anything. The guy on the phone from Verizon Customer Service and Support was totally useless.  He was a nice guy, but he didn't know what he was talking about.  You would think Verizon would train their folks better than that.

0 Likes
warrenk

Uh, excuse me.  I am a software and digital electronics engineer by training and experience.  I know how cell phones (and many other things) work.  iPhones don't accept SIM cards.

0 Likes
Not applicable

warrenk wrote:

I don't think you can put SIM cards in iPhones.  Also, when I called Verizon support they didn't say anything about SIM cards.  I think the phone is screwed up.  Hardware problem or more likely I need a software updgrade.  But who knows?  It could be anything. The guy on the phone from Verizon Customer Service and Support was totally useless.  He was a nice guy, but he didn't know what he was talking about.  You would think Verizon would train their folks better than that.

OK >Name calling removed< how does an Iphone work on at&t 's GSM network and in Europe which is also GSM without a SIM card?

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

So Iphones don't have SIM cards?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5163

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The iPhone 5 uses a SIM card.  If your iPhone doesn't have a local SIM card in it or your VZW SIM card isn't active, this is probably why your iPhone isn't working now.

0 Likes
frillybob
Enthusiast - Level 2

>Name calling removed<Yes the iPhone has a sim card. How else does it work. Granted some sim cards are built into the phone but ALL phones have sim cards or the likes of something. >Personal attack removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

There is your problem, then. Take the Verizon SIM card out of your iPhone 5 and replace it with a local SIM card in order to get reasonable rates while using your iPhone 5 in the UK. Just be sure to save the Verizon SIM for use when you get back to the states.

If you want to use the Verizon SIM card, you will be paying $1.29/minute and must be enrolled in one of their international plans. Local SIM cards will be much more economical.

0 Likes