Overage on Data Usage - Need Help
sgalano

I have an iphone 5 and 2 GB data usage plan. I just received a text message stating that I am at 75% usage on 10/10. I normally use my phone for simple tasks, talking, texting, facebook/instagram - I use my apps / Internet on occasion but not nearly enough to be at 1.5 GB of data usage. I have 18 days  left in the billing cycle and now feel I have to be careful when/how I use my phone and it can be frustrating.

Please advise.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Overage on Data Usage - Need Help
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am concerned with this usage, sgalano! We do not have any reported issues with this being known. Did you recently download the iOS7 update? Did you notice this happening after the update? When on WiFi, we recommend to turn off Cellular Data Go to settings > cellular > off. Additionally, when done with an application, it is best to close it down so that it is not running in the back. Double click menu > swipe application up on iOS7. You may view your data sessions by visiting vzw.com . Log on and select, data usage, view current usage. Manage data by dialing #DATA Send.

You can also avoid overage by changing the data plan and back-dating to the first day of the bill cycle.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
twilightcompanion

I am having the same issue.. it was reported I am at 75% of my data allowance today, and I actually cut back a lot and turned off data for many applications.

I'd love to hear a solution!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am concerned with this usage, sgalano! We do not have any reported issues with this being known. Did you recently download the iOS7 update? Did you notice this happening after the update? When on WiFi, we recommend to turn off Cellular Data Go to settings > cellular > off. Additionally, when done with an application, it is best to close it down so that it is not running in the back. Double click menu > swipe application up on iOS7. You may view your data sessions by visiting vzw.com . Log on and select, data usage, view current usage. Manage data by dialing #DATA Send.

You can also avoid overage by changing the data plan and back-dating to the first day of the bill cycle.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW

0 Likes
JBond
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Android and am having the same problem. I have a 4g plan, which has always been more than adequate--the most I have ever used for any month was about 2.5g. But for the last 3 billing periods, my data usage has spiked to a little over 4g--just enough to ding me for an overage charge. I have not been doing anything more with my phone than I ever have. In addition, I have set my phone to connect to WiFi whenever possible (which is about 14 hours a day). I have talked to reps here, and even gone to the Verizon store to get help, but all I hear is "bump up your data plan." There is absolutely no reason why I should have to pay more when I'm using the phone less. I have looked at the data analysis, and what I see is that I get slammed the second I get out if WiFi range. What is that about? I have done everything possible to try to fix this.

This is not acceptable.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know its difficult to have a bill or usage higher than expected JBond. I'm happy you are using wifi when possible because that helps with data usage. What phone did you have previously? 4G connections can have a richer experience and move alot faster. I recommend monitoring your usage and changing plans if needed.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
JBond
Enthusiast - Level 1

KinquanaH, I don't think you understand the situation I've described. I have had the same phone and plan for over a year, and it is already 4G. For the first 7 or so months, it has been using about 2.5 g a month. For the last three months, I have not changed how I use my phone, yet I am getting data in excess of 4g, causing an overage charge for these months.. In fact, I am using even less data, as I've recently been connected to WiFi for at least 14 hours a day, whereas in the months that I've only used 2.5 g, I was not using WiFi. Now that I think of it, I've also not be sending any photos or other media, so that also should result in lower, not higher usage.

And as I said previously, the suggestion that I change my plan so that I pay more while using less is not acceptable. I'm not sure why you restated it as if that's a helpful answer or a useful solution. I am coming here for help, so please read carefully what I'm taking the time to explain to you.

Thank you.

dimples37

YOU NEED TO REPORT THIS TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ASAP! SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE...I HAVE THREE LINES AND ONE OF MINE IS UP AND IM SWITCHING TO AT&T. VERIZON IS A RIP OFF!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to see you leave, dimples37. We try to get to every concern individually and would love to find out what has you feeling this way about us. Please share details with us about what has you wanting to leave.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JBond,

I apologize for the confusion! We definitely want to get to the bottom of this. Please advise, are you applications set to only upgrade on wi-fi? Have you had an opportunity to review the date and time of your data sessions here:http://bit.ly/xB4iTc ?

Thanks for your contribution to your community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

0 Likes