Personal hotspot question
maikens

New to the Iphone 5 and I was wondering if you are using your phone as a personal hotspot do you always use data from your data plan or can you connect other devices to your iphone and use the wifi feature so you can save your data plan?

seems like everytime I turn off the cellular portion the hotspot goes away.

Also, If the Hotspot is turned on, and my Iphone is connected to a wi-fi source, will the item that connects to my hotspot use wifi or my data plan?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Personal hotspot question
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can 'save your data' by connecting to wi-fi whenever it's available.  However, for other devices to connect to your phone's hotspot (in other words, those devices are using your phone for their wi-fi connection), then you must have the cellular data connection on or it won't work. 

If your phone is connected to wi-fi, why are you trying to then use the phone as a hotspot for other devices?  Just connect those other devices to the same wi-fi connection that your phone is using. 

0 Likes
maikens

There are certain places within my house that my Ipad won't connect to the wifi but my Iphone is getting the wifi signal.  I would prefer to use the Ipad for the larger screen so I was hoping to connect to the wifi thru the Iphone since the Ipad isn't getting the signal but I didn't want to burn thru my data plan.  Thanks for the reply

0 Likes
akdisney
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may want to buy Wifi  netgear extender Rebilt $39.00 new about $69.00

I have a bedroom that my Wifi do not work but with the wifi extender it work find

you can use iphone or Ipad to set it up.

What I been toll that Personal Hot spot only work with 4g LTE

you can not use a Wifi extender

0 Likes