Phone resets itself to January 1980
solarpwrdclb

For the past five days or so, my iPhone 5 (os 7.0.4) will arbitrarily reset itself to January 5, 1980; this happens only at home.  The phone could be charging, or not charging.  It's completely arbitrary.

Upon a hard shutdown (home key/power off) and restart, the date and time will reset itself back to current.

I've got a visit to the Mac store later today, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue, what it was and how it was solved.

Thanks much.

C

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone resets itself to January 1980
Pedee

Yes, I am having the same problem and I noticed it two days ago.  It is now January 9, 1980 on my iPhone 5.  The time is also off by about 20 minutes and it does not connect to our cell provider at the house but my husband's phone still does ( he has an older iPhone ).  Now my phone keeps searching and wearing the battery down.  What is wrong??  Any help would be appreciated.  It is good to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Pedee

0 Likes
czarcreach

ahh im glad i found someone who also has the same problem. I've taken it in to the genius bar at apple and reset all settings, reset network settings, and restored to factory settings. Today i even got my phone replaced. It's not an iphone issue according to apple - it's the carrier's issue because the way that it determines date and time is through cellular towers. this started happening last week. It ONLY happens at home and i need this to be fixed because it prevents calls, imessages, and since the time is off my alarm clock won't go on time.

edit: iphone 5 with ios 7.0.4

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ahh! What I would do to go back to January 9, 1980! Lets try to reset your network settings! Go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings. If that does not work, go to settings > general > Date & Time > turn off set automatically then back on. Test out and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
czarcreach

I tried the network settings and it did not make a difference. same with the set date/time automatically.  I spoke with a Verizon rep and he sent me a new SIM card to see if that resolves it. I will let you know when I get it and see if that was the solution.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you ALL for bringing this to our attention & doing the troubleshooting you have done so far.

I want to make sure we are able to determine why the phone is displaying the incorrect date.
I'm wondering what state you all live in. (Want to determine if this is a regional situation)

Thanks for your cooperation.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
cranberryhiker

I am having this issue on my daughter's phone right now. I live in Wisconsin.

0 Likes
Bracann

I am having a similar issue with my iPhone and my son is having the exact same issues on his Droid HTC and it took me two people and nearly two hours to convince those Verizon folks it isn't the device.  I am almost certain it has to do with the local tower near our home.  My son went to work which was about 30 miles away and he didn't have one issue.  As soon as he got home, he was back at 11/15/2013 even though it was 12/14/2013.  The problem is intermittent, all of a sudden everything works and a few hours later, I can't text, receive texts, calls go directly to voicemail so if it is one of those annoying people who thinks I am just going to see their missed call and immediately call them back-well they are surprised and ticked off when I don't.  Can't call someone back when I don't know they called which is a darn shame since I use my cell 100% for work and I am self employed.  Right now it is 1:23am on 12/15/13 in California but my phone says it is 11/16/13 at 10:18am.  I tried call my cell from my landline and it goes right to voicemail.  I type a text and hit send and nothing is in the history but at some point it does go through but never shows up on the history, annoying especially when you are trying to communicate with your teen and I can't remember exactly what I wrote.  I use my phone as my watch, my alarm clock, etc. so that's an issue....  And the worst part is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't play Candy Crush Saga because it says I have to wait over 42,000 minutes, thats about a month for those who are interest.  And yes, my son is having every single issue once he got home from work, including the exact date and time error I have but yet Verizon still thinks it is my device.  Really?  I was told there was a ticket established to escalate/solve this issue but I have my doubts based on my interactions and the fact it took me two hours and two people to convince it wasn't my device before they would take this issue to the next level.  The Verizon folks are getting paid for that time but I am not and I am paying Verizon.  What's wrong with this picture?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Cranberryhiker,

Thanks for the info. Have you tried the suggested steps of resetting your network settings? If that didn't work I would recommend completing a hard reset,http://vz.to/1f9Ks2V. Keep us updated with results.

NicholasB_VZW

0 Likes
czarcreach

Actually the problem has resolved itself for me. Not sure what has happened. I am from Orlando FL.

0 Likes