Please Help
cicero47

I just got my iPhone 5s and it will not pick up my wifi at home unless I am sitting on top of the wifi.  I can have my iPad on and it will have all the signal and the 5s has none.  What is the problem?  Please can anyone help me.  I think the phone might have a faulty antenna.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Please Help
TripTech2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

True, we can't rule out the phone, but my question would be about your home network.

1. First off, what is the type of router that you are using? Does it broadcast with A, B, G, or N?  Please do not post your router's SSID or passcode. What I want to know is the vendor and model number. The iPhone 5s supports all four frequencies.
  2. Are there other devices, such as cordless telephones, or microwave ovens in your home? These may interfere with wireless operation.
  3. Is the iPad older then, or of the same generation as the phone? The two devices most likely use different wireless radios.
  4. Do other devices, like computers, also experience problems connecting?
  5. Have you checked for a recent firmware update on the router?

Try answering these for starters, and we'll go from there.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Have you tried connecting to other WiFi networks?
What happens then?

0 Likes
cicero47

Thank you for your help in this matter.  I took my phone to the Verizon Store and it turned out to be the case the phone was in.  It was interfering with the antenna on the side.  I took the phone out of the case and when I got home it worked great.  I had no idea the case could do that.  The guy (Aaron) at the store was really great.  I thank you for your concern and have a great night.

0 Likes
cicero47

Duplicate post - please see earlier in discussion:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1037097#1037097

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
TripTech2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad you had it looked at.  We would not have looked at the shell case as a potential hazard, and in fact I didn't think an approved case would cause that sort of issue now that you mention it.

Any approved case/bumper must not willfully bridge the grooves at the top or bottom of the device--these grooves are part of the antenna system and, if "connected" will cause signal loss, as you have discovered.  It's been a known quantity since 2010's iPhone 4.

0 Likes