Re: Poor voice quality on iPhone 5
Guy-4541

I am using a silicone case. Should I still try the tape fix? Thanks.

0 Likes
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah, I am interested to see if that will work. I am just speculating that could be the problem. I had to with my HTC Rezound, I used a small piece of electrical tape over the second mic and then put my case over that.

0 Likes
Guy-4541

I plugged the second mic with my finger for a few calls and got mixed

results. Sometimes better sometimes no change. Weird.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Dorkmaster

0 Likes
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

try tape, the  mic might be picking up your finger moving around. electric tape works well, thick and rubbery, and leaves no residue. If your just going to leave in one for minute or two, any kind of thick tape will be fine, no residue.

0 Likes
lulubell14
Enthusiast - Level 1

And most likely you purchased a new phone and they sent you a refurbished phone, unless you specifically ask for A NEW PHONE, they send a refurb .I had this problem with a droid, and a friend brought it to my attention. I called because the same problem occurred way to fast, with what I thought was a new phone. Simple way of knowing the difference, It will come in a brand new box, like when you bought it. Refurb comes in a cardboard box. And yes I have the same problem with my 5, and then some, I have had it for 3 weeks and when you plug the ear phones in I get static and have giggle it to get it clear.

0 Likes
Guy-4541

I swapped out the phone at the apple store. Supposedly not a refurb but

who knows for sure. Looks new. There's clearly some sort of product

defect, whether hardware, software, or unique union of a problem with the

Verizon network. Perhaps it is worth swapping out phones until one works.

0 Likes
Jayjorstef

'm experiencing the same call quality problem on my iPhone 5.

I called Verizon and spoke to a technician who walked me through a few procedures (making sure the OS was up to date etc.) all which made no difference on call quality. The technician suggested that I go to a Verizon store to either exchange the phone or the sim card. As an experiment, I placed a call on my iPhone 5 using my Google Voice number. The call was significantly clearer. Has anyone else experienced this? Does this mean it's a network issue?

0 Likes
reversetolerance
Enthusiast - Level 2

What many iPhone 5 users are suffering from is a perfect storm of issues which makes the call quality on this horrible.

• Lack of HD Voice technology on Verizon's end (missing fidelity which gives a very midrange frequency response, lacks highs and lows)
  • Compression issues by either Verizon and/or Apple (which causes the robotic/digitized qualities)
  • Noise gate/Mic Switching issues between the 3 microphones (could be either hardware and/or software problem from Apple and it causes the cutting off of the beginning and ending of transients (words))

It is a combination of these things which appears to make this iPhone pretty much unusable a lot of the time. I recommend to complain to Apple and Verizon, keep switching out phones (a huge hassle, I know) and in general let iPhone5 users be heard. This is beyond unacceptable...

0 Likes
Guy-4541

Excellent summary. I agree. Thanks.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM, reversetolerance <

0 Likes
Nightwind

Has anyone tried turning off the LTE?  I hear this might be interfering with the voice quality.

0 Likes