Problems with iPhone 5 Push E-mail
Brian35

I am having problems with the new iPhone 5 push e-mail.  I have both an enterprise Exchange account and a Gmail account.  The problem affects both.  I've tried restoring to factory defaults, software re-install, Reset Network Settings, Reset All Settings, Erase All Content and Settings, deleting and re-adding the accounts one by one, phone restarts--you name it.  After each, Push works just fine for anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours.  Then it stops and I have to re-do any of the steps above.

Exchange's Active Synch is configured properly, as all of our iPads and earlier phone versions with iOS6 work.  And it affects Gmail or any mail connected to the phone.  Thus, we don't think Exchange or iOS 6 is the problem.

Verizon is at a loss, and I did not get much from the Apple Genius bar.  Have any others experienced the same issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problems with iPhone 5 Push E-mail
sdl5e
0 Likes
rpsmith

I tried the fix on the Apple site and it worked...for a short period, then it goes back to not working.

0 Likes
Brian35

This thread on Apple (https://discussions.apple.com/message/19728203?tstart=0#19728203?tstart=0) is indeed growing with users having this problem, including several Verizon customers.  All the work-arounds function for a time but eventually stop working.   I also have several colleagues in my office who now have the same problem.  Hoping this issue will make it on Verizon and Apple's radar as more than just a fluke.

0 Likes
Jhoran1314

I have tried the fix from the Apple site, and it worked for the first email I received, and then stopped working right after that... This is my first Apple product ever, and I am NOT HAPPY

0 Likes
noahs

I have the same issue. It affects all push notifications, including push email accounts, iMessage, and third-party apps. Push notifications will work for some period of time (on average, a few hours) and then stop working. Toggling airplane mode or restarting the phone will restart the push notifications service and temporarily fix the problem. But it then recurs. I've tried resetting network settings and backing up & restoring the phone with no long-term success.

I've also noticed that the apsd process is crashing on my phone. APSD is the Apple Push Service Daemon. It seems every few hours or so, it crashes and loses connectivity for push. Take a look in Settings-->General-->About-->Diagnostics & Usage-->Diagnostic & Usage Data and see whether you have similar crash logs from the apsd process.

0 Likes
Brian35

Interestingly, no APSD process log errors in my settings--yet.  Seems like the Apple Community thread above has a good, documented trail of users afflicted with this problem.   Will keep following this post and the one above and hope for a resolution soon.

0 Likes
AAShepAA

I have the same "push" issue with my and my wife's new iPhone 5!  I have tried every "fix" I can find and nothing works permanently.  We just switched from T-Mobile after many many years, and my wife's jailbroken iPhone 4 worked fine with push mail.  My Android worked fine with push mail.

This really needs to be addressed!

BTW - I know phones - everything is set correctly.

0 Likes
Brian35

Are folks still having problems?  I've seen multiple reports across other forums outside this one, but apparently Verizon is not seeing enough posts about it here to escalate at higher levels to Apple, even though it seems clear it's a problem with how Apple communicates on Verizon's LTE network.  I'm afraid we may have to switch to AT&T here soon, because our enterprise group cannot afford this to go on much longer, and AT&T seems to work fine. 

0 Likes
sdl5e

I'm still having problems...Gmail (set up as Exchange) is pushing, but my work Exchange still isn't

Engadget picked it up today....

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/01/early-ios-6-adopters-report-problems-getting-exchange-push-email/

Check out the survey...

0 Likes