Question about transferring an upgrade (family plan)? Please help!
winedelight

My mom and I are part of a family plan. She has a basic phone (not smartphone) with no data, while I have an iPhone 4s with a data plan of $30 per 2 gb per month. I've had my iPhone 4s since January 2012, and she had her phone since 2009. Her phone is now eligible for an upgrade, but my phone will not be eligible for an upgrade until September 2013, which is too far into the future.

I want the iPhone 5 right now, so what I want to do is to use my mom's upgrade to get an iPhone 5 for $199. I want to keep my existing data plan of $30 per 2gb/month, and use my existing data plan with the iPhone 5. My mom still wants to keep her existing basic phone with NO data plan, because she does not need or want any data.

Is such an upgrade possible? If so, do I have to visit a Verizon store to complete this upgrade, or can I go to any 3rd party retailer like Best Buy?

I feel this is a confusing situation which is hard to explain to the service reps. I am afraid something might go wrong; for example, I might be forced into a more expensive data plan that's like $50 per 1 gb (eww!!). Or my mom might be forced to buy a data plan for an extra $30 per month (eww!!). Any advice?

Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question about transferring an upgrade (family plan)? Please help!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Winedelight!

Don't be afraid! We actually complete this type of transaction all of the time.  It's called an alternate upgrade.  In fact you're even able to complete this type of swap from our website vzw.com while upgrading.

All you need to do is chose your mother's line to upgrade and there will be an option to "Transfer Upgrade" to your line!

Hopefully this has already been done and you're eagerly awaiting or already enjoying your new phone.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes