SIM cards
Pnhtricey
Contributor - Level 1

What are the purposes for a SIM card? Does it have anything to do with service? I have an extra one and I was wondering if it'll work or if I have to get it updated or something by a verizon rep. Does the SIM card store your mobile phone number on it ?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM cards
pwny
Enthusiast - Level 3

A fast and simple Google search will tell you the purpose of a SIM card in a wireless phone.  But here's a Wikipedia article that explains it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module

View solution in original post

B33
Legend

Your Sim is a Very important part of your phone it holds valuable information on it to help the phone function.. Take great care of it if..

pwny
Enthusiast - Level 3

A fast and simple Google search will tell you the purpose of a SIM card in a wireless phone.  But here's a Wikipedia article that explains it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module

rcschnoor
Legend

The SIM card is how your phone identifies itself to the Verizon network.

If the SIM card is a Verizon 4G LTE SIM card and it will fit in your iPhone 5S, then it SHOULD work.

Is this a new phone? Did it not come with a SIM card already installed? Is this a SIM card you had in your old phone? If this was a SIM card you had in an iPhone 5, then you should simply be able to put it in the 5S and it will work. If the SIM has never been used, you will probably have to sign into your MyVerizon account and activate the SIM card under "Activate or Switch Device"

B33
Legend

That's a Good Wiki page and article I've looked at it few times for info I saved it back when i got my first 4G phone my Motorola Razr Maxx b  

0 Likes
Pnhtricey
Contributor - Level 1

There was a SIM card that came with my phone but because they guy opened  a new line with a new number so I had to change out the SIM cards. I will try that and see what happens. My friend is also telling me I may have to change my number again to get better LTE results.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Over the past several months, I have been switching between an iPhone 5, GS3 and Droid Razr Maxx HD every month or so depending on how I feel at the time.

Switching between the 2 android phones is no problem as I simply move the SIM card from 1 phone to the other, but when switching to/from the iPhone, I always have to re-type the SIM serial number to re-activate the card. I recommend a magnifying glass to make it easier.

B33
Legend

I'll add to thread on Sim Card's  as I touched lightly on it at first:  And that is handling them If there is ever a time you ever need to take out your Card Handle it by it's Edges and try your best not to touch the Gold area of it, The reason we have two things in out body structure that is Oil and Static Electricity both of them helps us, but both of them when coming into contact with a Sim Card can very bad and can cause allot of issues with the card and with the phone it goes in.. b33

0 Likes
Pnhtricey
Contributor - Level 1

Thank for  your reply. Makes sense. It turns out that extra SIM card I had came out of my S4, it was much bigger than the one that was in my iPhone. I usually let the customer service reps handle the SIM card issues 9/10. When I feel like they aren't doing they job, I have to take matters into my own hands lol.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Your Welcome. b

0 Likes