Saving music as ringtone
hyealice

I just bought the Iphone 5 today.  On my old basic phone, I had emailed myself a music file of a song I like and I had saved it as my ringtone.  I can't seem to do that with this Iphone.  I emailed the same file and it will play, but there's no option to save it to the phone.  Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

Also, kind of the same idea, but with using a photo as my wallpaper.  When I'm bringing up the wallpaper screen on the Iphone, I don't see an option to use or create my own - there's just their canned ones available.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Saving music as ringtone
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You can not do it in the manner that you are used to. Do a quick search on this forum (or an internet search) on how to make your own ringtones for the iPhone and you will find the details for the different routes you can go. I have posted it several times in the past....and also have a tutorial posted at the following link...which would still apply to the iPhone 5. My method applies to those using Windows but if you can find the right method for your OS easily. I assume you can also still use ringtone apps (unless you have to wait for some to be updated for iOS 6).  How To Make Your Own Ringtones For The iPhone/

0 Likes
hyealice

Thanks, but I do not have Itunes or any of those pay to download sites.  I have it downloaded from a free site. 

On my regular computer I have it saved in "my music" and I sent it as an attachment via email.  In my regular email program it opens with Adobe Flash Player.  The file opens and plays on the Iphone, but that screen that comes up to play it doesn't have a save option. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I understand, you still need to use the iTunes program (on a computer) to "tell" the iPhone that this song clip is a ringtone and to sync it to the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Ann is correct, the iPhone will not allow you to download ringer and use them on the phone like you are use to, the only way is to convert the file and drop it into iTunes app and select it to be synced to the device as a ringer...   There is a number of restrictions to not allow this because of copyrights..

Seach youtube for videos to add ringtones to iPhone and you will see the exact process..

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

iTunes is free. You can download it to your computer from the Apple website. You do not have to use the iTunes store if you don't want to, but there are free things available for download on there also. As mentioned, if you want to make your own ringtones you will have to use iTunes to sync the ringtone to your iPhone. If you look at the link I posted or do a search you will see in detail how to do this. Otherwise, you will have to purchase ringtones.

0 Likes
bct1984

Making ringtones is pretty easy to do. Get the MP3 ringtones like you normally do free on the Internet. Open the MP3s in iTunes (Free- iTunes is not just a store, you don't have to buy anything. It is a library manager for music, movies, ringtones and more.) Now that the MP3 is in iTunes double click on the tone in the next view right click on the tone and click convert to AAC. Once it is done delete the original MP3. Go to the music folder, iTunes, Music find the file and rename the .m4a part to .m4r and open it in iTunes. (Haven't used Windows in 6 years so don't know if Windows works the same way, but Mac users can drag that newly created AAC file to the desktop and rename it right there and just open it up in iTunes. No need to go hunting down the file in the music section. You can delete both files from Desktop once this is done because iTunes auto makes a copy in the proper section of the music folder.) The ringtone will now be in the ringtones section of iTunes sidebar to drag and drop to your iPhone in iTunes (Make sure you have manual manage music and videos checked under iPhone in iTunes for drag and drop). You can ago ahead and delete the .m4a version from the music section of iTunes as well as that point.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Thats Simple? ....   Here a video covering this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dCk4O02nT8

0 Likes
jamesmillan

Its more simple to use any online ringtone makers, like this one or this one, it already with m4r support, all you need is just copy ready made to your iPhone, or just send file via mail.

0 Likes