Screen brightness malfunction?
tomatoketchup

I like to set the brightness slider pretty low in order to preserve my battery.  It seems after a few hours when I check the brightness setting, the phone has at some point automatically readjusted the slider back up to a higher setting.  This has happened multiple times.  I also have an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 on it, and I don't recall this being an issue with that phone.

Anyone else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Screen brightness malfunction?
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

Auto Brightness will adjust to fit the surrounding lighting in the room. if you move the slider to adjust the brightness and have Auto Brightness ON then your adjustment is only a temporary change and will revert to the auto settings based on lighting conditions. The best recommendation if you want to save as much battery as possible is to turn auto brightness OFF. That way, backlight will not change unless you go in to manually adjust it. Auto Brightness is meant to conserve battery use as much as possible but of course if you are on your phone a lot and in an ample lighting environment then lighting will be pretty high. I've also read over a few people where their ambient light sensor was not working. Best way to test this is to go into a dimly light or dark room and toggle auto brightness on/off to make sure yours is working properly. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

Are you making sure to turn auto brightness off as well?

0 Likes
tomatoketchup

Auto brightness never made any difference on my iPhone 4 or 4S.  Having auto brightness on simply limited the maximum brightness the screen would go to. 

I do have auto brightness on, but it's the actual slider that keeps resetting to a higher position, even when I have the phone indoors and on standby with the screen off for an extended period of time.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If I'm not mistaken, auto-brightness doesn't limit the maximum brightness...it adjust the brightness level. The slider would be what limits the maximum brightness. I may be wrong, but it is how I always understood it. At any rate, I haven't had the issue but I also haven't been constantly checking where my slider is. My screen has not suddenly become brighter than I set it so there is no need for me to watch it like that. As advised with everyone that feels like something abnormal is going on...try the usual fixes (Reset, restore), try the suggestions (in this case, try turning off auto-brightness. Worst case scenario is that your issue continues. You can't say you've tried fixes if you don't actually try the possible fixes), and ultimately contact VZW or Apple if you think you've tried everything and nothing has helped. If you don't try the fixes on your own then you will end up having to do them with Apple or VZW (because they are part of the troubleshooting steps)....so you can save yourself some time...and if successful, save yourself a trip or phone call by trying them out. Also, visit the Apple support website for official Apple articles that may address your issue. www.apple.com/support

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

Auto Brightness will adjust to fit the surrounding lighting in the room. if you move the slider to adjust the brightness and have Auto Brightness ON then your adjustment is only a temporary change and will revert to the auto settings based on lighting conditions. The best recommendation if you want to save as much battery as possible is to turn auto brightness OFF. That way, backlight will not change unless you go in to manually adjust it. Auto Brightness is meant to conserve battery use as much as possible but of course if you are on your phone a lot and in an ample lighting environment then lighting will be pretty high. I've also read over a few people where their ambient light sensor was not working. Best way to test this is to go into a dimly light or dark room and toggle auto brightness on/off to make sure yours is working properly. 

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

I played around with my auto brightness last night and it appears a previous poster is absolutely correct in that once you set the auto bright or even move the slider to your preferred level it takes 45-60 seconds for the brightness to adjust and being in a room of different light level. I an hoping an update comes out where it is immediate as in past iphones but we will have to wait and hope....

0 Likes