Searching for Signal and Activation Required?
allison302

For about a month now, my iPhone 5c has been randomly losing signal and requiring me to reactivate my device. It will say "searching" in the top left hand corner and then require me to type in my iTunes information to activate my device. Most of the time, this happens when I'm away from my house, and since it requires a wifi connection or my laptop to reactivate, it's been causing a lot of issues. In the past week, this has happened at least 6 times. Yesterday, I went to the Verizon store and got a new sim card, however a few hours later, the same issue happened when I was in the middle of a phone conversation. I have done every reset imaginable on my phone, and have even reregistered it as a new phone (not even doing the iCloud backup) and it's still having these issues. Has anyone else been having these issues? I'm pretty sure it started when I updated to the iOS 8.3 software.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Searching for Signal and Activation Required?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

So you've done a factory reset?

0 Likes
allison302

I tried to do it once and for some reason not everything was removed from my phone, but I just did it again and I think it fully reset. Before I did it, it said "Device Unknown" and it wouldn't let me even attempt to activate it.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not sure about on the iPhone, but on android you can turn off app data back up and restore so you don't get any old app crud on your device. It really helps androids when doing a factory reset.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

allison302

I can understand how frustrating this may be. It is important to us to further look into this for you. Thank you for the steps you have already taken to try to get this resolved. Looking a forum just like this one on Apple’s website you are not alone. There are a few other steps I would like for you to try, please:

•    Go to iCloud.com>Find My iPhone>All Devices
•    Once you are there Choose your device
•    Turn off your phone
•    Once your phone is off remove your device from Find My iPhone

Please let us know how this goes. We are here to help.

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
allison302

I had to do that before it would let me restore my phone. Today it lost service in the middle of a phone call (about 15 hours after the reset), but it didn't make me go through the entire activation process again. It reconnected to the network within a minute or two.

0 Likes
jtsr43

I have the same problem. I have very poor signal at work and this happens to me many times every day, and it even happens mid-phone conversation when I'm using wifi calling. Although this is very annoying, I can reactivate via wifi when necessary at work. However, I'm often in remote areas for days at a time, and I need my phone for non-cellular tasks (GPS, camera, various apps, etc). There is no wifi available so I am not able to reactivate, so I'm stuck without my phone for the duration of my trip. This is very inconvenient. As a matter of fact this could be life threatening.

Is another way to fix this without disabling Find my iPhone? As the email puts it:

With Find My iPhone disabled, this device can no longer be located, placed in Lost Mode, or remotely erased using icloud.com/find or the Find My iPhone iOS app.
In addition, your Apple ID and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone.

None of that sounds very desirable! So again, is another way to fix this without disabling Find my iPhone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jtsr43,

We love to help find the right solution for your iPhone. I can only image how frustrating it must be to have to disable your find constantly. When did this start for your iPhone ? Is your iOS up to date?

YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jtsr43

It has been happening for quite some time, at least several months. I'm currently running iOS 9.3.1. I had my iPhone replaced by apple due to a separate issue. The problem occurred with both phones.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jtsr43,

Having dependable service is a must this day in age.  Many of us spend a lot of time outdoors.  What is the zip code of the trouble location?  Are you aware of other Verizon customers with the same trouble while at work?

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes