Sell iphone 5 Recieved from upgrade
gidget1960

OK, so my line was due an upgrade. I still use an old Flip-Phone, not a Smart Phone, and am content with it. Vz sent me a Flyer thru the Mail letting me know I was elgible for an Upgrade. So, I thought, no need in just letting the opportunity for an Upgrade pass, so I ordered an iphone 5 as they seem to be bringing a decent price on the market currently. Not knowing how to handle this and not give away any personal information, while at the same time being sure the Future new owner could activate the iphone on his or her Vz Acccount with no problem I called Vz CS. In fact I called 6 times. Got at least 4 different answers. Here are 2 of them.

1.-You must activate the iphone 5 on your Account to extend your Contract (even though it already shows Extended on My Account with a Pic of my old Flip Phone) then remove the SIM Card to Sell to protect your personal info. Buyer will then have to acquire a New SIM Card from a Vz store to Activate. If you don't Activate it on your Acct, the original Upgrade line,  within 30 days Vz will chare you Full price for the iphone.

2-Doesn't have to be Activated on the original Upgrade line whatsoever. No ties to that line at all.  Vz has no interest in what you do with your phone once you recieve it-it is your property. All we are interested in is that you have Extended your contract with us. Just sell the Phone and the new owner can Activate with no problem on their line.

I was hoping not to have to open the Phone as I assume that would reduce it's value.

Further, I do not wish to Return the Phone to Vz for a refund. Also, I have 2 more Phones stashed back I actually know how to use, so I have no desire to keep this one.

Anyone who knows the Correct answer to this Question, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sell iphone 5 Recieved from upgrade
spamuback
Enthusiast - Level 3

So you want to sell the new iphone and later be charged a ridiculous price 30 days later that is more than you could sell it for? Not the best business revenue model but our government does it all the time. GL Smiley Happy

0 Likes
purplegold90

I'm a little confused - I guess my question is, where did you purchase the Iphone?  There are only 2 options - you either purchased it from the market such as craigs list or ebay or some similar type venue - if this was the case, you paid boo-kooz - whether it was an unlocked phone or not - if you bought an unlocked phone, you paid boo-kooz plus another kooz, so that wouldn't be the case - the only way to get an iphone a what you consider to be a good price woud be to purchase it from verizon and get into a 2 year contract - some people think that verizon and other carriers are phone specific - they are not - they are LINE specific - so, you got this phone - sure, you can keep your existing line, which the phone number on your flip phone will now be transferred to the iphone - now, the flip phone is yours - by carrying it through the contract period, you now own the flip - but you like it and want to keep it and sell your iphone - well, you can do that if you wish - but economicly speaking, you will lose money.  You can sell the iphone, but the line is the contract - so, only you can opt for a new line or keep the existing one - bottom line is, if you sell the phone, you will be paying for at least one line - so, you would not have access to a phone - you would have to get another line to use your flip, as it sounds like to me, verizon asssumed you just wanted to get from underneath an old flip phone and go the smart phone route - they would assume that you wouldn't want to change lines as that would change your phone number - so, I think you are on the hook for the iphone - if you sell it, you will either have to keep paying that line charge, or squash the line, which is when verizon gets their big fee.  Again, its the line that is tied to the contract - but what you pay in fee if you decide to cut the line depends on how big the fish is that's hooked to the end of the line - and seeing it's an iphone 5, you have a right big fish - hope this helps.  ps - if you are in your 15 day window, you can opt to return the phone at no charge - they may have introduced a restock fee or something since they can not sell that phone new any longer, as it will be shelved as a refurb, but I can be certain regarding that - 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The return window is 14 days and there is a $35 restocking fee.  If the phone isn't activated within 30 days, you're charged full retail price.

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

you can do whatever you want with the phone. the sim card starts out as tied to your phone number... but apple will release that sim card after 24 hours... sell it.. but dont cry when your flip phone goes to crap and you dont have an upgrade or another phone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Personally I would keep the SIM card, but the OP needs to definitely accept the terms and conditions of the new contract to avoid getting charged with the full price of the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

the sim card doesnt hold any info... wouldnt really matter

0 Likes