Some of my contacts not receiving my text messages
carmenflora
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I recently switched from Tmobile to Verizon, going from a droid to the new iphone.  For some reason, there are a handful of contacts who are not able to receive test messages from me.  I receive theirs and I respond without error, however the text message reply I made never shows up on their phone.

I called Verizon and their advice was to tell the people who are not getting my replies to call their own service provider to find out why this is happening? 

I am able to sent text messages to several people on my phone.  It is strange that it is only happening with some of my contacts.

Both tmo and verizon said that the port was successful...

Has this ever happened to anyone?  Advice?  Do I need to go to an APPLE store to have them look at my phone?

I never had text messaging problems before I made this move (not saying that to be rude/verizon and apple are way better than tmo and droid IMHO) so I am just at a loss as to where to go from here.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Some of my contacts not receiving my text messages
carmenflora
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi!  This is the original poster.  So after three factory resets (which were unsuccessful) I finally got someone at verizon who knew what to do!  She walked me through a reset/restore via itunes.  Originally I was frustrated because it seemed she was having me do what I had done three times previous.  But it was different.

I recommend logging a technical ticket with verizon and telling them that you need them to walk you through a system restore via itunes. 

She recommended that I do load everything that I had on my phone because it is possible that something was corrupt causing the issue.  That part is kind of annoying but I will take being able to text and having to start new than what I was dealing with before.

Good luck all.  I know how frustrating it is.

One other thing you can try is to delete the message thread completely with the person who is not receiving your replies.  Then delete their contact also completely.  Then send them a new test entering their phone number in with the area code first.  That worked for my husband for a couple of the folks he was having trouble with.  Ultimately he will be contacting verizon to do the restore as well.

View solution in original post

jplev23

My wife and I both have an iPhone 5.  Sometimes our texts work and other times they don't even though we are in full coverage areas.  I even will sometimes send messages from my Mac - again sometimes they work, but not all of the time. Anyone fixes for this?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I doubt it's a hardware issue exactly...but it's hard to say if it's a VZW or T-Mobile issue. I have always had issues with T-Mobile friends regardless of what phone I have. What I noticed over the years was an issue with texts that went over a certain character count. This doesn't help you at all but I don't know what the exact issue is (as to why it has happened with me). Is it every message you send to the people in question that they don't receive or only some of them? If it's not every one try seeing if shorter ones (less than 140 characters perhaps) are received. Then test if longer ones are the ones that are  the problem.

0 Likes
carmenflora
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is every message I send them, and the messages I have sent have all been small, like test, testing 123 (haha)...  I turned off imessage thinking that was the problem and sent them test messages again with no responses.  frustrated

Tmobile was no help, saying that since I am no longer with them they can not help me any further, just said that the port was successful.  Verizon was no help either and like I said, told me to tell the people who are not receiving my messages to contact their carrier to see what they can do (if anything).  Should I go to the apple store and see if they can help?

Thanks thanks thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Carmenflora!

First, welcome to the VZW family!  I want everyone to get your messages quickly & easily. I'm so sorry that's not happening. Have you noticed any particular similarities?

For example are they all in one area code? Is it only one provider? We have the opportunity to file a resolution ticket to our engineers to ensure your messaging profile is set up. The more information we have, the better!

Keep me updated.

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Mvbc

I'm having the same issue, only I've been with Verizon for over six years. Got my iPhone 5 last friday, and yesterday I couldn't text some of my contacts. Not all, just some. They're on verizon Droids, and one is with another carrier,  but so are some other people that I CAN text. They're also in the same area code, but so are others that I CAN text. This is out of the blue since it worked fine for a week. Very disappointing. They're not even showing up on my My Verizon usage details. Their texts to ME are, but I get those just fine.

0 Likes
carmenflora
Enthusiast - Level 2

no similarities.  Sounds like Mvbc and I have the same issue.  I did a factory reset and that seemed to fix the problem, but only temporarily.

0 Likes
kteal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the same issue.  There is no similarities between the phones and phone numbers that aren't getting the texts.  The people are on different carries and on different types of phones.  Most of the people not getting my texts are on Verizon with some sort of droid phone, but some people on Verizon with droid phones are getting my texts.  I called and spoke to Verizon and got the engineering department working on it.  They started a resolution ticket for me on Friday and acted like I would hear something back soon, but I haven't as of yet.

0 Likes
christydawncrt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I, too, am having this issue.  I have found 4 friends that do not receive my texts.  I receive their texts and I respond and it appears to have sent but they never receive it.  Again there is no connection between these 4 people as they are on different networks and one is even verizon.  Its becoming a hassle to have to get into facebook and message someone that I talk to on a regular basis.  Is there going to be a fix for this anytime soon or do we need to switch providers?

ErnieTsMom

I had the same problem.  Verizon customer support on this forum helped me...

make sure your contact is set up with the 10 digit phone number, even if they are in the same area code with you.

It worked for me... hope it works for you too!

0 Likes