Still no solution to iPhone 5 Wifi....
adkted2me

Good Day,

I purchased my iPhone 5 back in January.  I got it home, and immediately connected it to my Wi-Fi with no issues.  A few minutes later, I then received the push notification about the software update to 6.0.2 that was designed to correct Wi-Fi issues (I hadn't had any issues anyway, but did the update OTA via the Wi-Fi).  It updated fine, and nothing was wrong.  Mind you- I brought this home already in a case, and noticed no issues whatsoever. 

About 2 weeks later, I woke up one morning and noticed that my connectivity was extremely slow, in an area of the home where it previously had not been (and in all other places at home for that matter).  I attempted to isolate sources of interference, and eliminate them- that didn't help.  I did notice somewhat better reception when I removed the case, but not much.  Also, I was noticing that the Wi-Fi wasn't connecting as quickly when I returned home from being out and it defaulting to LTE, it also would drop the Wi-Fi from time to time and default to LTE when I was home.

I called Apple and have an open case with them.  The troubleshooting steps we took were:

1) Reset Network Settings

2) Forget/Re-join Network

3) Restore the phone (incidentally this happened the day 6.1 was released, so the update took place during this process as well).

The problem appeared to be fixed, but I was fooled as the Wi-Fi would connect, and be OK for about 5 minutes, then slow to a crawl again.  It's affecting push notifications for mail, and also MMS/iMessages.

I got in touch with Netgear (the router manufacturer), as they have a support alert on their webpage that there are widespread Wi-Fi issues with iOS6, and that they are trying to come up with a workaround.  After a few emails back and forth, making some pretty technical adjustments to the router settings, it still really didn't help.

I am now on update 6.1.2 (released yesterday), and I still have the Wi-Fi problem.   Apple has said I'm eligible to replace the phone, but I really don't think that will help, since it was widely accepted/reported by them that this was an iOS issue in the first place (although they seem to have completely stifled that discussion now), and other users that have replaced their devices are still having the issue.

Is Verizon addressing this issue with Apple at all?  And what are they going to be doing about it?  I have friends that have the device on AT&T, and have the exact same issue with their Wi-Fi.

Fortunately, I have not seen a data usage leak, but I understand this was also a problem earlier with the device and iOS6.  I'd better not see that happen...

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Still no solution to iPhone 5 Wifi....
Sigil
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I experienced the same issues. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5. My data did not leak out; it gushed out.  My first two bills were ridiculous.

VZW technical support walked me though updating my second iPhone. This update would allegedly fix the problem. I explained that I didn't purposely use the high amount of data attributed to my account. I was told then that the data had been "used."  They again acknowledged the problem, but stated it was related to the iPhone. When I said that I would take it up with Apple, I was told that Apple could not do anything. Simply put, VZW doesn't really care. I bumped my data plan up and up to compensate. Yet, I exceeded the usage of the highest plan! My previous usage was significantly lower. When the iPhone 5s arrives, I will terminate my contracts (Yes, I have two iPhones.) and switch to Sprint. It won't compensate me for the issue, but I'd be stupid to keep paying someone, who willfully takes advantage of me.

Simply, know that you are not alone.

Cheers.

Not applicable

Hi adkted2me!

Oh goodness, after reading your post I honestly can't apologize enough for everything you've been experiencing with the slow Wi-Fi speeds. Upgrading to a new device, especially one like the iPhone 5, should provide you a sense of relief that you won't be experiencing any problems like this going forward. So, it's my pleasure to address what you've brought to us.

First of all, thank you for everything you've done thus far with troubleshooting. Apple definitely took you through the best steps possible. Given this information, it does seem as though this may be hardware related and as advised a replacement option would be the best route. Of course, it seems as though you're 100% eligible through the manufacturer's warranty to receive a replacement. Please don't hesitate to let us know if this is deemed an appropriate avenue to take. Again I'm very sorry about the issues but thank you for your understanding and I look forward to hearing back.

EvanO_VZW

VZW Suport

Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Gsgolfer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've encountered the same WIFI issues with iPhone 5 on our home network, and tried all sorts of changes with no success.  That said, my wife does NOT have the issue with her iPhone 5 (same operating system).  Figure that.  I really believe it's a huge hardware or software configuration error that Apple needs to fix.  What surprises me is Apply not addressing the issue in any thread I've read, including on Apple's site.  Also, surprised Verizon hasn't, least verbally, addressed the issue in some manner.  Maybe because so many people are unknowingly getting hit with huge data bills, and Verizon likes that...

VFont
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same exact issue with the iPhone5 on Verizon. I had a conference call with both Apple and VZ techs trying to solve it and they both stated that its a common problem that there is no known solution. The data is only accessed at home, meanwhile, the bills are rediculous because wi-fi keeps dropping without any type of notification.

0 Likes
VFont
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've replaced the phone 4 times and have had the same issue with each one.

0 Likes
veryoldpm

We are NOT techies in this household, but believe we have finally figured out that turning off LTE in iPhone5 stops our wifi disruption that we routinely experience when viewing TV using our dishnetwork hopper and joey.  For months we've dealt with pixilation and dropped connections.  Repeated dishnetwork technical calls did not help. With the iPhone5 not at home during day, we had not really suspected an iPhone5 problem, or specifically LTE could be cause for interference.  Not sure if newer/better router would help....but turning off LTE seems to do the trick for now.

0 Likes