Strange issues using a MicroSIM cut to NanoSIM?
nemesis4670

Okay so I was using a Galaxy S3 activated on Verizon for the past year.  A few days ago I purchased a brand new Verizon iPhone 5 from eBay.  Instead of driving all the way to Verizon to get a NanoSIM I simply took the 4G LTE MicroSIM from my Verizon Galaxy S3 and trimmed it to fit the NanoSIM tray.

The SIM was recognized and it activated the iPhone 5 on my account and the 4G LTE and phone calls work perfectly.  The only strange issue is that it does not say "Verizon" in the status bar.  It only says LTE or shows the WiFi icon when I'm on WiFi but there's no carrier name at all.  Then when I go to Settings > General > About it says "Not Available" next to the NETWORK area.  But the Carrier version says Verizon 13.3.

Even though everything is working properly I have OCD about it not showing the Verizon name where it's supposed to.  So I decided to take a trip to the Verizon store and get a legitimate NanoSIM to see if that was the issue.  Problem is the reps there seemed to find the idea of cutting the SIM card to be "strange" and said they've never seen anyone do that before.  They were kind of impressed that I cut it so perfectly by hand.  They then proceeded to try activating a new legit NanoSIM and then placed it in my iPhone 5.   It recognized the SIM card and showed VERIZON properly but would not activate the service.  They tried 2 SIM cards and it just would not activate.

Strangest thing is they put the SIM card that I cut up to fit back in the phone and the phone was working again... LTE and all.  But still doesn't say VERIZON anywhere.  They told me that maybe something is wrong with the phone (which is nonsense since my SIM card worked) and that I should do a factory reset.  Problem is if I factory reset it'll upgrade to 6.1.3 and I'll lose my chance to jailbreak for a long time.

I'm hoping somewhere here knows what might be going on here.  The only other solution I could think of is to bring my Galaxy S3 to the store,  have them create a new MicroSIM and activate the Galaxy S3 in order to remove the iPhone 5 from the account.  THEN create a new NanoSIM and activate the iPhone again with a fresh start.

But I don't want to waste my time if someone here may know the true reason for the problem.  If that doesn't work or nobody knows anything then I'll just keep the current chopped up SIM card since it works.  Then when a jailbreak comes out for 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 or whenever,  I'll restore the phone and go get a new SIM real quick and then upgrade the phone and jailbreak it.

I ATTACHED A SCREENSHOT WHERE YOU CAN SEE WHAT I MEAN.  CHECK THE STATUS BAR AND ALSO THE "NETWORK" area in the settings.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Strange issues using a MicroSIM cut to NanoSIM?
nemesis4670

Here is a screenshot so you can see what it looks like.  Note the status bar missing the carrier and "Network" line in settings saying Not Available.

But yet I have LTE service and can make calls.  I'm getting the same signal I got with my GS3 too.... SO STRANGE!

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2mzlhg.jpg

0 Likes