Switching iPhone 5 to a different line?
pfrigoli
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello All!

I have a quick question before the phone comes (hopefully in the next few days!)

My sister's line was eligible for an upgrade, so I used her upgrade to get the iPhone 5. She wants my 4S, so I was hoping once the iPhone 5 arrives, to trade our phones around (while keeping our numbers). Do I need to call Verizon to activate the iPhone 5 on a line? Or is this something I can do online?

I just don't want to turn the phone on and have her line get disconnected (as she is in another town at school.) I just want to switch the iPhone 5 for my current phone once it arrives. I'd prefer an online method, but any advice you have is welcomed! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switching iPhone 5 to a different line?
nhi_hoang92

This is from my experience in the past and I usually always do this and it hasn't failed me.

Once you receive the phone, since it's on her line, then log on her to account and activate it with her number. Keep it on her line for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Once that is done, you can go to verizonwireless.com and it has to option for you to switch device. Select that and log in and just enter the MEID or serial number that it ask for the phone you want to use for that line. Or you can call them and they can do it for you.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

i talked to a verizon rep today.. he had told me to just call when you get the new phone dont activate it or anything. the issue is no one knows if the nano sims will be tied to the new phone when you activate it the first time. so if you activate it online before calling youll end up having to go to a verizon store to get a new sim.

0 Likes
Ans010

I just got off the phone with a verizon representative. She told me to wait for 24 hours after the phone was initially activated and then try to switch the phones online. According to her they have done some update on their systems, so that the phones can be switched without requiring a new sim card.

Hope this works...

0 Likes
dreucla23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does this mean we keep the phone activated on the original line for 24 hours, and then deactivate it and activate on the destination line? Or does it mean that we deactivate from the original line and leave the SIM unactivated for 24 hours, and then activate on the destination line?

I've gotten both responses from Verizon representatives and I'm not sure what to do....

0 Likes
javaman78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called cust svc for my new 5 today. I wanted to do as you said and activate it on a different line. I was told with the new nanosim (sp?) card this not possible. Apparently when I preordered my 5 it came with the new sim card programmed for the number I upgraded from and if I tried to activate it on the line I wanted to it would say dead sim card.

My two options were to activate it on the line I upgraded and then 24 hours later switch the phones around or go to the store and they would give me a new sim card. I went to the local store and they said they were not shipped these new sim cards and therefore the only option I had was to activate the phone and wait 24 hours. So tomorrow night I will call or go online and switch the phones...

0 Likes
tooniedog
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning I called VZW...was also told that the sim needs to be switched in the 5 and that the stores should have them...She said it was the only way. So hopefully when someone has success switching, they'll tell us how they did it!

0 Likes