THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
keltikrain76
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, my son got his Christmas wish of the Iphone 5c.  He had the Iphone 4 for at least 2 years.  So, I started getting notifications that we are at 50% of our data limit, then 75% of our data limit...  We have been with Verizon for the past 10 years....we have NEVER experienced this kind of usage on our data.  We usually run at 1.5g...and I only have the 4g as a safeguard.  Now here we sit with our billing cycle still running and having no data left.  We are hardly ever off of our wifi.  This is ridiculous.  After reading the threads on the blogs....we need a fix and we need it now.  I will not be renewing my contract with Verizon if we can't get this rectified.  There is no reason for this kind of data usage...and especially while we are sleeping.  There was a huge hit this morning...while at our house...while we were sleeping...and we have wifi....My droid has used hardly any data...and yet his iphone has eaten up 3g....RIDICULOUS.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
Kimon
Enthusiast - Level 1

On her phone in settings turn off LTE. It can cause data issues big time. I called verizon today and was transferred many times and eventually to Apple software. I suggest you call that number, but use a different phone, not hers. They can help you. The number is 800-275-2273. He had me go under general and reset and under reset click on the first option and reset all settings. The phone will not lose anything doing this. Then when the phone turns back on go under Wi-Fi and turn it back on. Now for the next 24 hours we are monitoring my usage to see if that fixes the problem. Apparently the iPhone 5c has been disconnecting from the Wi-Fi and has been using cellular data when it should be using Wi-Fi. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

dkuntzi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ditto for me, same issue with the iphone 5c that I gave my daughter for Christmas.  She is not using it any different than her last phone - HTC Ryme.  Issue must be resolved by Apple and Verizon, give them more data until the issue is resolved would be nice.  Maybe our last contract with Verizon also!  Some suggest turning celluar off, then it's not a phone, just a ipod touch!  Not happy.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you keltikrain76 & dkuntzi,

The last thing we want is for you to leave the VZW family. I can certainly understand how important it is to optimize your data on your devices. I personally have been optimizing my data by turning off cellular data features I don't use. To clarify if you visit Settings > Cellular > Scroll down to "Use Cellular Data for" and turn off any apps that don't need cellular data.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
keltikrain76
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent a good two hours yesterday going through EVERY possible setting on my son's phone.  We turned off auto updating, the LTE, Everything on his phone is manual...He realized that he couldn't send me a picture text because I have a droid and he has the iphone5c.  So, we had to turn on his data, and I kid you not, we got hit for another .5 gig.  THAT IS RIDICULOUS. The phones should not have to be babysat.  I will be leaving Verizon as soon as the contract is up if no fix is found.  He loves his Iphone and I love my droid...we can go love our devices elsewhere where we can actually USE them.

0 Likes
dkuntzi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to YouTube last night, quite a few videos on this issue with the iphone 5 and 5c on Verizon.  Turned as much off as possible, trying to turn the smart phone into a dumb phone to save data?  I let you know if it helps, but looking at the usage logs on My Verizon for this phone, doesn't look like its helping much.  Appears the biggest hit of data is done in the morning when the phone gets turned back on?  some mornings almost 1/3 of gb.  I'll play with the setings, if I can't slow the usage down, I will come into a Verizon store and have her moved back to her old phone until the issue is resolved or contract is up.  I'll have a very unhappy preteen.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I truly appreciate the additional details keltikrain76,

I certainly don't want you to have to turn off data completely, just the applications that may only need to use data over Wifi. Were you able to follow the steps I posted above to do so?

Additionally, if data was used right away when you turned the data back on it must be something that is constantly running that we need to find. First, I would go to Email > Outbox. Is anything "stuck" in the outbox trying to send? Second, do you notice any concerns with Wifi connectivity?

Please keep me posted.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
donlach

same problem with son phone Verizon has no answer using wifi ,also.i will try to contact them to restrict data

0 Likes
AZVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problems, and am very frustrated!!! My son was home using our wifi yesterday afternoon, but his iphone 5c used a big chunk of data anyway. Also while he was at school on their wifi. His phone even used data when I have the Family Base restrictions set to not allow his phone to be on yet in the morning!! This is completely ridiculous. I turned off LTE, turned off the "allow cellular data" for all his apps. At the current rate, he will run out of data halfway through the month again. I shouldn't have to buy a bigger data plan when there is clearly something wrong with either the phone or Verizon's service, or the system that logs data use. I was planning to buy new iPhones for both me and my husband in the next month or two, but not if this problem is not resolved! I will have to shop for another service, after being with Verizon for over a decade.

muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, The default settings on the 5c will use up a LOT of cellular data, at least 4-6G per cycle until you go in and manually turn them off.

Heres what I had to do to dumb my "smart" phone back to keep it under control.  Please take a moment and read through the discussion comments too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo&list

0 Likes
THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
AZVerizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is still so frustrating! My son is not away from wifi enough to go through 2GB of data in a week!! That's what happened this month. I checked his settings, turned off LTE. Still didn't help. I cannot afford to upgrade his plan to cover all this data. And I certainly will not be buying the two new iPhones (for my husband and me) that I was planning to buy in the next couple of months. I'm going to shop around for a different carrier. I'm disappointed, since I've been a loyal Verizon customer for over a decade. I have been happy with their service until I bought this iPhone 5C! I understand it's a faster phone than my old iPhone 4, but there's not way it's using this much data. Even dumbing it down hasn't helped. I use about 1GB a month. I could understand if my son used 2-3GB a month. But 2GB a week? That can't be just because his phone is faster. The phone uses data in little spurts even when it's connected to wifi. And this has added up fast.