Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MelFuhrmo,

We certainly understand your concerns and appreciate you providing us with these examples.

When upgrading from a 3G device to a 4G device, although usage may remain the same on the phone, the data usage will increase due to the higher consumption of data 4G devices have since they are 10X faster than 3G devices.

Another way to help prevent such high data usage is utilizing a Wi-Fi connection whenever available. Please keep in mind that all smartphones run on background data and can be synchronizing information in the middle of the night even when phone is not personally being used. The best way to prevent this from happening is temporarily shutting down the cellular data connection when not in use. 

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MelFuhrmo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I know, as does my daughter, to double click… that is an obvious, though simple solution… that is not the issue.  And, really - do you honestly think that going from a 3G device to a 4G device would triple our usage?? I don't think so; that seems a little absurd. Again… these are all things Verizon reps have told me numerous times… I am STILL looking for a good answer to this problem. Doesn't seem Verizon is willing to admit there is something not right… but why would you - you are making  killing off of data usage…

0 Likes
DBSGIRL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in the same boat!!! My son went from a 4s to a 5c....his data used 50..75 then 95% all in an hour while he was sleeping and it was on a charger...called verizon and they told me when the phone shuts down it goes to 4G...so to turn off data..REALLY!? Why am I paying for a smartphone?....did that...now data maxed again this month...called verizon....said its because we use ITUNES....really!?....i already pay apple for this service...and my daughters IPOD TOUCH doesnt get data charges!!!!!.....looking at going to smart talk....cant pay 225.@00 a month for phones that we have to have turned off! any solutions to this problem?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I really don't know what to tell you.

I can take a screen capture of both my iPhone 5s devices and I have them on wifi at home, and never shut them off and I use KB or a few MB each month.

I never ever hit gigabytes so I honestly believe it is because I have unlimited data versus tiered or metered data.

But I really cannot say if my theory is accurate.

Verizon claimed 95 % of the customers use less than 2GB per month. However if that statement were truthful than why not keep the unlimited data for everyone?

Verizon states unlimited is not sustainable at $30 but it is sustainable at $30 for 2GB with huge overage charges.

You read the issue and see what you think.

Good Luck

bssigirl1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got an Iphone 5c and the one thing that I am noticing is that while it seems to remember my wifi login at my house, it does not when I go to work each day. I have to remember first thing to log on to our wireless account --- but even then, it drops it and switches back to LTE frequently. I previously had an Iphont 4 and it NEVER had a problem with the wireless account at home, work, Starbucks, etc. It always automatically joined open networks or alerted me as to when I might need to log onto another network. This iphone is quickly becoming a problem if it cannot properly search and log onto networks. I hate to believe it is a ploy by Verizon to charge more for data usage. I did contact Apple about it and they said it is an issue with Verizon, not Apple. Might be a good class action lawsuit if so many are having this problem?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you going as far as contacting Apple about the trouble connecting to WiFi, bssigirl1. We want to see you connecting to WiFi to concern your data too and I assure you we are not blocking your phone from connecting properly. Are you connecting to a VPN when you are at work? Is the WiFi network at work a secured WiFi connection? If you turn off Cellular Data (Settings>Cellular) while you're at work, is it able to stay connected to WiFi or does it frequently drop to no data connection?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
bssigirl1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jennifer,

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you. I never had this problem with

my 3G iphone 4 so I was really confused as to why my work wifi kept

disconnecting. But thank you, turning off the Cellular Data worked. I

appreciate your help.

Beth

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for following up, bssigirl1! We are so glad it all worked out for you.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
rick_withanF

My daughter's 5s is on Verizon, my 5s is on AT&T. Neither of us are data hogs, yet her usage skyrocketed this last month and I do not have a similar problem with AT&T and I don't have to 'dumb down' the phone and turn everything off to stay within using about 4Gig each month. There is something wrong either the Verizon iPhone or Verizon data network. It's not a problem with AT&T so why isn't Verizon taking action before they lose every customer they have at next renewal?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's take a closer look rick_withanF! There are many factors that may have caused your daughter's data usage to be higher this month. To begin, I would suggest checking your daughter's iCloud settings. Please go to Settings>iCloud>Documents & Data>Use Cellular Data, and be sure this is off. This can often cause high data usage, because it consumes data in the background.

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes