Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Gwf_asf,

We always want to help! Most Smartphones can you tell you what is using your cellular data specifically. On an iPhone go to settings>general>usage>scroll down to cellular data usage. This will show a list of the applications that are using your cellular data and how much data each application uses. On an android please go to settings>data usage>this should show a list of cellular data used by application and in some instances it will sort this by monthly usage cycle.
Applications with higher data usages of MB/GB could be the cause of the spikes. I would recommend starting with the line on the account that is using the most data when reviewing phones.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
gwf_asf
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is no data usage listed on any of the IPhones.  Only storage information.  Did find on the Android.  Any other suggestions to track down apps that are causing the high data usage? 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Settings-cellular-use cellular data for

Scroll all the way down to see what is using what.

You can toggle it off (grey) if it is showing on (Green)

Good Luck

Wyze63
Enthusiast - Level 1

My son purchased an IPhone 5c on my account on about Sept 7th. Data usage went from an average of approx 2gb to over 4 gb in just 2 weeks of use! On top of that, he went from unlimited data to 6 gb per month. We were aware of the change but were not told it would be prorated to 5 gb for that billing cycle. Apparently, the store sales rep didn't even know this. I went back to the store and asked about this and was told, "sorry, you should have been told about that." No help was offered otherwise. I called Verizon and received much better help from Sara in that she gave a $10 credit to cover overage for this billing cycle. Problem solved for this month, however if data usage problem isn't controlled in the future, this phone will be useless. Bottom line, our local store rep was very uninformed and no help offered on return to store.  My daughter has an IPhone 5 also and we have seen a jump in data usage. Apparently this has been going on for awhile and customers should be informed of the data usage issues up front.

JRIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

By DESIGN, Apple set up the 5C to default to data??? Why would they do that?  Did Verizon play a role in persuading Apple to make data the default in the 5C? Because Verizon's customers are getting royally screwed by that default.

We've been Verizon customers from the first day GTE/Bell became Verizon, but the day our family shared contract expires is the day I'm signing us up with a new carrier.  Enough is enough.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's so false... If they did it would affect all iPhones that are using iOS 7 or higher not just the 5C.

0 Likes
JRIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

p.s. for those of us getting hosed on data charges for teens' phones - on my son's phone Youtube was responsible for about 95% of his data consumption (and his data consumption was 95% of our family shared total). So in our situation at least video is the culprit.

It's not what ideal and kinda defeats the whole purpose of getting a smartphone, but it's possible to go through the list of apps and shut off data for individual apps. I shut off data use for all video apps and for Safari, the internet service provider he uses on his phone.

0 Likes
JRIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits - that implies the problem is with Apple. Is that likely? I'm no techie so I don't have a clue.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There is no pinpoint cause. It affects some users and doesn't affect others. Seems like a rogue app more than likely than Carriers or Apple trying to make people go over on purpose.

nursebsn14
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you ever resolve this issue? Im having the same exact issue and Im ready to switch to a new provider