Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
lucilma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem with data usage that have been increased  from 2gb to 20 gb in a year and verizon still telling me we are going over our  data usage  this month  again , the 21gb its not enough.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lucilma,

We definitely don't want you to have that issue! Have we checked what apps are using the data? You can see that under settings>cellular and then scroll down to the app list. It will say how much data they have used under the name of the apps. If that hasn't been reset recently we can reset that at the bottom of the page to only see what is used going forward.

Is your software up to date? http://bit.ly/1xbS4Kf

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

It does not show data usage amounts for each app in that list. It does show data usage in system services at the very bottom. But individual apps are not listed there. Regardless, the info in system services may be helpful. Most data usage issues go back to the user simply using too much off wifi. Videos, games, Facebook and etc. Even FaceTime and iMessage. FaceTime is a big hog.

0 Likes
Whyisverizonscammingu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone who doesn't see this for the scam it is isn't paying attention. Verizon has known about this problem since at least 2012 as far as I can tell by what I've found in the Internet so far and here in 2015 it's still a problem. 3 years of overages charges on how many millions of iPhones connected to their service 12 months a year.....sounds like millions of dollars in scammed profits to me. And the only answer still being given is dumb down your smart phone or turn it into an iPod.

If this isn't a scam I don't know what you call it.

Another pissed off verizon sucker.

0 Likes
hoodfive
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know exactly how you feel.  We have their Home Fusion internet service and Verizon claims we've used 30gb in 10 days!  Once I got the notice, we unplugged the device, changed the password and stayed off the internet and still accumulated an additional 9gb of usage over the next 20 days.  Their customer service dept is the worst I've ever seen - they insist that we are using the data.

We are actively looking at switching everything we have to a different provider.  Willing to take the termination fee hit.

Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is not a scam. It is the Apple IOS 7&8 operating system. This was created by the Chinese and over there they still charge per TXT message with unlimited data plans. A lot of the applications written for IOS are being written to favor DATA. One example is iMessage. This app sends ALL text messages to other iPhones using data and will only send SMS to Andriod Phones. Apps like iTunes and iCloud like to sync data at different times of the day and prefer Data vs WiFi. Where Google Play will only sync when connected to WiFi.

You don't have to DUMB your phone. Just turn OFF Cellular data for apps tha you don't use all the time and this will force them to sync only when connected to WiFi. You will want to leave it on for app like Maps and Pandora that you use while driving a car.

Whyisverizonscammingu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Keep telling yourself that Bill, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.  But 5 years at AT&T with iPhones and not one problem with overages and family members at other carriers with iPhones and no problems with overages. Add that to the last couple years getting circled around with verizon wireless customer service forces me to disagree.

And I'm curious where you got your info on who writes apples operating systems and why they are set up how they are. Is that you telling people what you think is the cause, or can you actually send us to a source for that info? I'll go ahead and start my google quest but I'm going to go ahead and assume that a company as big as Apple, that has backed absolutely everything I've purchased from them for the last almost ten years in every way possible could actually manage to write a separate operating system for their Chinese and American, along with every other if need be, markets.

0 Likes
Whyisverizonscammingu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh yeah, I forgot one more OBVIOUS sign that it's just a scam. Since they have known about this problem since at least 2012 then why do they still offer the iPhone on their system? 

Not only do they offer it, they give you no warning when you purchase the phone and sign the contract. Of course since you're so enlightened Bill you know the window for canceling a Verizon contract I'll assume. It's not after you've receieved your first bill or even first text letting you know you now have exceeded your allowed data.....nope! It's to late then....sucker!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Will deal with last question first... " Why does Verizon still offer the iPhone..?"  In the United States the iPhone is the number one selling phone.   If they stopped selling it, they would lose about 40% of their customers to carriers who do sell iPhones.  People love the freakin things.

Most of the time they work great.  But this is an example of when they go very wrong.

IT is an Apple problem, not the carrier!  ( For the record, this problem happens with iPhones on all carriers )

IF restricting most apps to using wifi has not helped reduce data use, your phone has a problem.

Option 1.  Reset your phone to factory ( please backup first ). Then set up as new with your backup.

Option 2.  Make an appointment with Apple to repair or replace your phone.

Whyisverizonscammingu
Enthusiast - Level 1

The funniest thing here is the "internet genius's" that spend their day pretending they know what they're talking about and regurgitating corporate crap and misinformation like it's their job.

It's as if you people think anyone here who doesn't bow down to being ripped off or spend their days regurgitating crap all day on the Internet is an idiot.

Laughable, this is my last post....no sense arguing with know it alls that have nothing better to do then play Verizon employee on the Internet just to beat a dead horse.

0 Likes