The iPhone 5 is terrible...want to return!!!
cperrone

I bought my iPhone 5 in December and I spent a ridiculous amount of money for it...even buying it at discount! Since then, my data has been exponential and I end up owing over a hundred dollars plus in data overage charges! I was told to turn of the LTE service and try to run on WiFi as much as possible, but now even that is not working. It's rare if I even get service at all and the WiFi can never connect or stay connected. If I'm going to be paying so much money for this device, I would appreciate it if it worked correctly. I would like to drop this phone and go onto a different phone, how can I do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: The iPhone 5 is terrible...want to return!!!
rcschnoor
Legend

What kind of phone did you have prior to the iPhone? What plan? What plan do you now have.

On the Share Everything plan, $100 in overages would be equivalent to ~6-8 GB in overages. You could increase your data allowance by 8 GB for only $40, saving you $60 in overages.

On a tiered data plan, $100 in overages would be equivalent to 10 GB in overages. If you are on tiered data, what data tier do you have?

As to changing phones, you could either pay full retail for a phone from Verizon or you could purchase a used one from a site such as Swappa.com for much less.

0 Likes
cperrone

I had the iPhone 4 previously and I am working on the unlimited data plan. I am not doing anything differently than I did with my other phone so I don't understand why I am experiencing so much trouble. I didn't mind turning off my LTE, but the 3G runs so terribly I end up losing patience with the phone because it takes so long to do anything.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

How do you have overages if you are on an unlimited data plan????

I think you need to check your plan to see what you have. You do not get any overage charges for data if you are on the unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

From your statement I am guessing you went a bought a subsidize phone. If that is the case you lost your unlimited data plan. You also have a two year contract am I correct?

The data overages are because like the other replyer stated your plan is not enough data. Do as he suggests and up the data on your plan.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to love your iPhone 5 cperrone! We offer a 14 day return option for equipment purchases. Something isn't adding up here. You stated you were incurring data overages; however, you are having difficulties with gaining service on the device? How often are you power cycling it? Have you tested it on more than one wifi connection? What happens when you try to connect to wifi? What is your zip code? We will get to the bottom of this!

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
MMP1964
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, there are known WiFi issues with the iPhone 5.  Apple of course does not acknowledge this, but if you search on the web you will see massive threads on Apple and associated support forums.   I recently upgraded from an iPhone 4 and the difference in WiFi connectivity is huge.  If I walk towards the back of my house, I lose connectivity - but I stayed connected with my iPhone 4, and I've done tests w/ a very old iPod Touch and it also stays connected.  I've tried removing the case and that seems to help sometimes, but not all the time.  My next step is to get a new router and see if that helps.  I've read that downgrading wireless security to WEP helps, but I want to try the new router first.  Yes, I could take it back but I really don't think that will matter (all I can do is exchange it for another iPhone 5). 

As far as the data overages - I agree with Elector - you lost your unlimited data plan (as did I) when you upgraded to your new phone.

0 Likes