Transfer iPhone 5 to unlimited line
sawwas66

Ok I have family plan 2 smartphones with unlimited data and a basic phone (9.99 a month) the basic phone is due for upgrade.  I was going to cancel the basic line in January once the contract run out cheaper then paying the ETF.  I know several people have used the upgrade from their basic phone to one of the other phones on their account to keep the unlimited data. Has anyone had any success with transferring the upgrade to the phone with unlimited data?  Or has anyone had any success upgrading the basic phone to iPhone 5 then activate the iPhone 5 the line with the unlimited plan?  If yes was the basic line extended for another 2 years in either scenario?  Did the basic line stay at 9.99 per month?  Thanking you in advance for all responses

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transfer iPhone 5 to unlimited line
e_rs
Enthusiast - Level 2

To my knowledge after reading countless posts all over the web about this certain topic, the general consensus is that attempting to transfer an upgrade from a basic phone line to an unlimited data line will make you lose your unlimited data. The only way to keep unlimited data is to upgrade using the basic phone line and then switching the device to your line after receiving the phone in the mail or however you get it. The drawback is that the basic phone line will now be entered into a New Two Year Agreement, but you will pay whatever your paying now monthly for that basic line.

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

I purchased the 5 for a basic line to get the upgrade price. My line has unlimited with the 4S and was not eligible. I first got a rep who was incorrect telling me I first had to activate the 5 on the basic line and then switch. NO. I called back and got a rep that knew what she was doing. I did not have to do anything with the basic line, Working with the rep I was able to activate the 5 on my unlimited line without loosing the unlimited. Since I never activated the 5 on the basic line, the data plan for the basic line did not kick in. The basic phone is now on a 2 year agreement but since my mother-in-law uses the basic phone and could not deal with a smart phone, no problem. My 4S will soon be on my wife's line so she will get the 2GB data plan at $30 per month. I will be able to do that easily online.  If at first you get a clueless rep, hang up and call back.

1-800-922-0204

sawwas66

OK so you still have unlimited thats great to know.  You placed the order online for the basic phone and called cust service to have it activated on the unlimited line.  About how long did it take for your phone to get activated?  I know some people are having issues getting the phone activated its nice to hear you had a good outcome.

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

Took about 10 minutes. The rep and I were talking while we were waiting. I found out she was in Tennessee. I am in Maryland. We talked about how good the weather has been lately here in the east. Very nice rep. Before I knew it the phone was activated. I think her name was Janet.

0 Likes