Understanding FedEx Statuses
blurayfreak
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can someone with knowledge of FedEx status updates explain this one to me? Note how the most RECENT status out of the ten status updates in this screenshot is "Shipment information sent to FedEx". Why would there be all of the "In Transit" and "Left Facility" updates first, and then finally followed by "Shipment information sent to FedEx"? Seems backward to me.

fedex.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Understanding FedEx Statuses
flyingwil
Enthusiast - Level 2

The multiple progress in the same city is when it goes into sorting bins/ staging areas.  Every time a FedEx box is moved it is monitored by the tracking number.  So for Example, I'll explain our shipment and hope it makes sense:

Sep 20, 2012 5:49 AM | Shipment information sent to FedEx <- Due to future delivery request tracking number renewed

Sep 20, 2012 2:19 AM | In transit  | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box placed in truck to go to sorting

Sep 20, 2012 2:12 AM | At local FedEx facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box arrived at staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:18 PM | In transit | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box moved from sorting to staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:12 PM | At local FedEx facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Due to Future delivery date request sent to staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM | Arrived at FedEx location | MEMPHIS, TN <- Got off of truck (below) and went to sorting

Sep 19, 2012 1:50 PM | Left FedEx origin facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Went from truck to another truck

Sep 19, 2012 10:27 AM | Picked up | MEMPHIS, TN | Future delivery requested  <- Left VZW Shipping Dept

It make more sense if you read from the bottom up.  Basically a package get scanned every time it moved/touched.  So in my case above it went from VZW shipping dept and went to a hub where they sort and distrubute, the kicker is the Future Delivery request.  So in this case instead of it continuing down the normal distribution pipes it goes to a holding area / staging area, this may be a large bin, room, or different warehouse.  So then it gets redistributed into the normal distribution pipeline the next day unless the future delivery request is still valid (it repeats it self until it is ready to go into the normal distribution pipeline).  So the last update "shipment information sent to FedEx" is the package renewing (or validating) to see if can continue through the normal distribution. 

Hope this helps... I am a past UPS employee.

View solution in original post

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Not sure, but it explains why I've seen all those FedEx trucks driving in circles.

0 Likes
sugarplumm
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Fedex tracking says the same EXACT thing. It confused the crap out of me this morning!!!! 😕

0 Likes
cfspence1003
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I have gathered from all of the information that I have gotten, it basically means that there is one MAIN hub in Memphis where all phones were being held and were planes go in and out of constantly. Before leaving that hub, they send the information to YOUR local FedEx to alert them that that device is coming. This is just another way of them covering their butts when it exchanges hands as well as giving your local FedEx the information.

Example: Memphis TN is 12 1/2 hours away from me.. But on a plane, nowhere NEAR as long. My phone is probably here in NC already since my last update was 3am when they transferred the information to FedEx. This is all very normal:)

The driving in circles? Not so normal:/ lol

0 Likes
Addie23
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Fedex tracking has been driving around in Memphis since the 18th. Every night I pray when I wake up in the morning that my phone actually made it Billings, MT guess I going have to wait till tomorrow morning.

0 Likes
Akisato
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine is the same as well haha. The service type is Standard Overnight so I guess they were shipping them all to the same location and sending them overnight from there as spence said. Looks like we won't get anything early!

0 Likes
cfspence1003
Enthusiast - Level 3

No they will hold on to them until the last possible second. Yes, some will slip through the cracks though. We will be getting them tomorrow (hopefully)!

0 Likes
sugarplumm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Billings is a beautiful place!!! I won a trip to the Marlboro ranch in Bozeman and we drove from the airport in Billings to Bozeman. Absolutely breathtaking! I'm from California so we don't have anything as beautiful as that!!

And I pray every night too!! But its still in the same spot when I wake up! Hopefully we'll get it tomorrow! I've been waiting a year for this phone! Smiley Happy

kakiyama
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine says the same exact thing, and I'm all the way on the West Coast! Not sure why it says, "Arrived at local FedEx facility" The basically says the same thing 12 hours later.

0 Likes
flyingwil
Enthusiast - Level 2

The multiple progress in the same city is when it goes into sorting bins/ staging areas.  Every time a FedEx box is moved it is monitored by the tracking number.  So for Example, I'll explain our shipment and hope it makes sense:

Sep 20, 2012 5:49 AM | Shipment information sent to FedEx <- Due to future delivery request tracking number renewed

Sep 20, 2012 2:19 AM | In transit  | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box placed in truck to go to sorting

Sep 20, 2012 2:12 AM | At local FedEx facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box arrived at staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:18 PM | In transit | MEMPHIS, TN <- Box moved from sorting to staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:12 PM | At local FedEx facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Due to Future delivery date request sent to staging

Sep 19, 2012 2:09 PM | Arrived at FedEx location | MEMPHIS, TN <- Got off of truck (below) and went to sorting

Sep 19, 2012 1:50 PM | Left FedEx origin facility | MEMPHIS, TN <- Went from truck to another truck

Sep 19, 2012 10:27 AM | Picked up | MEMPHIS, TN | Future delivery requested  <- Left VZW Shipping Dept

It make more sense if you read from the bottom up.  Basically a package get scanned every time it moved/touched.  So in my case above it went from VZW shipping dept and went to a hub where they sort and distrubute, the kicker is the Future Delivery request.  So in this case instead of it continuing down the normal distribution pipes it goes to a holding area / staging area, this may be a large bin, room, or different warehouse.  So then it gets redistributed into the normal distribution pipeline the next day unless the future delivery request is still valid (it repeats it self until it is ready to go into the normal distribution pipeline).  So the last update "shipment information sent to FedEx" is the package renewing (or validating) to see if can continue through the normal distribution. 

Hope this helps... I am a past UPS employee.