Re: Unexplained data usage
SeriouslyLainey
Contributor - Level 1

To help manage data usage and preserve battery life, there are a few things to check on Apple devices - especially after any iOS update, as there are some "services" which will activate after the software update by default (and I've been unsuccessful thus far in finding any "directions" that tell users this).  I've developed a "maintenance plan" for the 200+ Apple users at my job, to serve as a reminder/troubleshooting checklist.  Basically, it's:

• Reboot device at least monthly - to clear any "looping" applications
  • Close all applications which are not in use - those apps that constantly update information (stocks, news apps, weather, FaceBook, etc) are using data unless you're on WiFi

After iOS software updates:

• Turn off Bluetooth - it turns "on" by default after iOS updates (Settings - Bluetooth).  This will improve battery life;
  • Turn off Background App Refresh - it turns on by default after iOS updates (Settings - General - Background App Refresh).  Turning this "off" will not only significantly improve battery life, but it ALSO reduces data usage when it's "off".  In the "on" position, all the apps listed will continuously use data (again, unless you're on WiFi) to seek out "changes" to it's current state - for instance, a news app would constantly "look" for updated information, thus constantly sending (refresh request) and receiving (updated info to display) in the background.  The bottom line is, when you open an app, it'll "update" by default - so there's no need to have it do this in the background all the time;
  • Review your Notifications settings (Settings - Notification Center).  If you don't "need" to see Badges, Banners, Alerts, Badge Icons, or notifications in the Notification Center and/or on Lock Screen - turn them OFF.  Your phone uses data to get these "updates", and it also uses battery power.  Again, by default, the app will "update" you when you open it;
  • Finally, check to see what you're using your Cellular Data for (Settings - Cellular).  Scroll down to Use Cellular Data For and you'll see all the applications that use your data when you're NOT on WiFi.  I usually recommend that 'unnecessary' apps (games, YouTube, social apps, etc) be turned OFF - so that their use is limited to WiFi.

I hope some of you may find this information helpful - and I welcome any tips anyone else may have!

LMurren
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I have tracked the times.  They are happening while home near my WiFi.  They happen in the middle of the night while sleeping and on weekends (also while around WiFi).  With Cellular Data off I shouldn't even be able to use my data.  So why do I keep getting data hits?

0 Likes
Wiugraduate17
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has started to occur on my phone too. iPhone 5c and suddenly I'm using more data in the last two months than ivd used live streaming the world cup games all June/July. Data in the middle of the night as you mentioned with all apps closed and only the alarm on. It's a farce. Verizon most likely has changed their programming gearing up for the iPhone 6 releases because , supposedly, people are going to using more data because of the faster wifi and LTE tech. What better way to justify the data going out the window when not using it but by having a new faster debut.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LMurren,

We will figure out this mystery data usage together! If you go to Settings>Cellular and scroll down can you please let us know what the top data usage apps are and how much they are using? This may help point us in the right direction. Another suggestion would be to download a third party app like Onavo Count Free to help track data usage and which apps are using this data.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LMurren
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if this is the right answer but on cellular the top 10 are:

They are also turned off as well as cellular is turned off.  The numbers are directly underneath the name of the APP so I hope this is the number you are looking for.

You Tube - 573mb

Contacts - 180mb

Angry Birds - 115mb

Google - 114mb

APP Store - 71.5mb

Facebook - 35.2mb

Scout Maps - 27.2mb

Solitaire - 18.8mb

I-Tunes - 5.8mb

Safari - 1.6mb

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This will definitely help with knowing where your usage is being spent LMurren. You can see that You-Tube is currently using the most data. This can help when you have a day that  is higher than normal so that you may remove some apps or ensure they are closed. I would also like to provide some tips to help with data usage http://vz.to/1iuPrBD .

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Fayb76

I think it's interesting Verizon decided unlimited data was unnecessary and that people didn't need it...they forced limited packages on people taking away their unlimited and on top of that this iPhone data bleed and people are having all kinds of data overages. It's shady and a slap in the face to long time Verizon customers like myself. I'm in a dead zone. A 2mile radius it's ridiculous on top of the home tower they tried to charge me $500 for then said I could get it for $250. I said no way. They sent it for free and our cellphones are still unreliable! I upgraded and they took my unlimited and then proceeded to charge me for the unlimited data I used the day of my upgrade to a 6gig plan that was prorated to 1 gig which was gone in an he because it was tied into my previous unlimited plan! So before I even used the new phone or set it up I went over the data! Total bs! I am so sick of Verizon.

0 Likes