Unlock for iPhone 5
starbucksfreak

If I upgrade to the Verizon iPhone 5 and wish to use it as I do now with my Verizon iPhone 4S interchangeably between Verizon in the USA and another carrier in Costa Rica by swapping out the SIM card, will Verizon provide an immediate unlock for the new device?  In other words, does the same criteria for unlocking apply to the iPhone 5?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlock for iPhone 5
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

The iPhone 5 came unlocked.  No further "unlocking" is needed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon starbucksfreak.

It must be nice to be able to travel to Costa Rica regularly! (I wish I could.) As you mentioned, the same criteria does apply as far as being able to unlock your phone.  If you're already a Verizon Wireless customer, you would not need to wait the 6 months to be able to do this. You will be able to unlock the iPhone 5 as you do now with your current 4S, as long as it's on your account.

Thank you, (and continue to have safe travels),
VanessaS_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

egilbbys21
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've also been searching everywhere for an answer to this question. Last week Global Support told me they were not sure yet and had not yet received protocol on this. I have another question though.  I will be going abroad in October. I have a VZW account active for years. Once I get my iPhone 5 I can call in and have it unlocked to use with the SIM card of a carrier in Asia. While I'm abroad, should my VZW account expire or be cancelled, since I may not return until next year. Will the unlock remain? Is the unlock performed by Verizon permanent? I just dont want my phone to turn into a brick while I'm there. I did after all pay full price for the device. Thanks!

0 Likes
starbucksfreak

I believe once your device is unlocked, it is unlocked for good.  However, if you are planning to use the iPhone 5 in Asia, make sure your local carrier there has the new nano SIM.  It's required to use the device, and the micro SIM cannot be cut down to make a nano SIM.  My carrier in Costa Rica does not yet have the nano SIM, so I am not in a big hurry to upgrade to the iPhone 5.

0 Likes
egilbbys21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes good point. Luckily the country I'm traveling to will have nano SIMs this month, which is strange because they aren't on the first release for the iPhone. Some sites like CNET have been claiming they've cut down a micro SIM to a nano. This not only requires carving the SIM but sanding down the thickness. I guess we'll find out if it works in a couple days...

0 Likes
egilbbys21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Enjoying my new iPhone 5 today and got some great news from Verizon. Its unlocked out of the box for use with any carrier: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3369702/verizon-iphone-5-gsm-unlocked

Awesome.

0 Likes
starbucksfreak

That is good news.  Congratulations.  Now--while not the original topic of this post--I am wondering if anyone has been able to confirm the device works with a nano SIM carved and sanded down from a larger SIM.

0 Likes
egilbbys21
Enthusiast - Level 1

The original test to discover this used a micro ATT SIM that was cut down: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-att/

0 Likes
goyard

omg, can't wait to port my 3 lines from AT&T to Verizon.

AT&T only unlock your iphone when your 2 years is up. not in 30, 60 or 90 days!!

yup, i am paying ETF for 3 lines, but I am happy.

0 Likes
starbucksfreak

Yup.  And if you do not happen to have your receipt--which many people do not have after a couple of years--you're SOL.  AT&T will not unlock.  You can pay for third party unlock services or go with Verizon.  They seem to get it.

BTW, several sites are confirming that it is possible to cut down a regular or micro SIM card to nano SIM dimensions and have it work just fine in the iPhone 5.  And while this individual shows you how to do it in 90 seconds, the sandpaper swipes to reduce the thickness are reportedly not necessary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-VhYppLVpU.

0 Likes