Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Unlocked IPhone 5 - dual data and voice on other networks?
lclerk

My understanding is that all IPhone 5s on Verizon are unlocked, meaning you can take them to a competitor like AT&T and use them on its network. 

So the question is: if I were to take my unlocked Veriozon's IPhone 5 to AT&T, will the phone have dual voice/data capabilities?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked IPhone 5 - dual data and voice on other networks?
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Although the iPhone 5 does have both technologies, a VZW phone can not be used on another carrier if used in the US. The same thing for AT&T IPhones, they can not be used on. CDMA system in the US

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

While both Apple and Verizon deny you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 to another US carrier, there are users on these forums who claim they have been able to do so. You will have to see for yourself.

I am unsure what you mean by "dual voice/data capabilities". If you mean being able to have active accounts on Verizon and AT&T with only one phone, I guess you could technically do so. You would NOT, however, be able to have the phone access both accounts AT THE SAME TIME. The phone only has 1 SIM slot. You must have a SIM in the phone from your carrier for the phone to be able to access the carrier's network. You would have to keep trading the SIMs from the 2 different carriers to be able to switch between the 2 carriers.

If you mean something else by "dual voice/data capabilities", then I don't know the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

If you mean something else by "dual voice/data capabilities", then I don't know the answer.

They may be referring to the 'missing radio' issue with Verizon iPhones that prevents data usage while on a phone call (unlike AT&T, where you can surf while talking).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, that could also be an interpretation. Good catch.

0 Likes
lclerk

Thanks for the answer.  According to NBC, apparently you can take VZW's iPhone to AT&T: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/verizon-wireless-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked-1B607824...

By "dual voice/data capabilities," I mean that the VZW iPhone 5 can't do voice and data simultaneously whereas AT&T can.  So if I were to take the VZW's iPhone 5 to AT&T, could it do voice and data simultaneously? (Presuming that it would work on the AT&T network to begin with.)

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I can't answer that question, however since the Verizon iPhone 5 has different radios than the AT&T iPhone 5(no CDMA radio in the AT&T version) I wouldn't count on it.

It would be best to go with the AT&T version to insure the capability.

0 Likes
21stNow

Do you have a friend that has a nanoSIM card on AT&T?  If so, ask that person to put his/her SIM card in your iPhone 5 (assuming that you have it already) and see if you can make a phone call and use data at the same time.

0 Likes
lclerk

I do not, but that is a excellent suggestion.

0 Likes