Upgrade a Line - But Keep Unlimited?
jessmpgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read a lot of posts tonight and I feel like I've seen a million answers, so let me see if I understand...

I have 3 lines on my family plan (only one has an available upgrade, and it is currently a dumb phone).

If I pre-order the iPhone 5 on that available upgrade line, I'll have to select a data plan for it under my current plan ($30/mo for 2GB).

THEN - after I receive the phone I can transfer the iPhone to my line, and reactive the dumb phone on the old line, canceling that data plan and therefore, KEEP unlimited on my line?

Seems too good to be true, but if so, that would be excellent.

Anyone seem to know what's going on for sure?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade a Line - But Keep Unlimited?
budone
Legend

That is how to do it to keep your unlimited data on your line

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

There is no $30 2GB plan on the apple site only the new share plans. I expect Verizon will be the same. The least expensive plan is $80 300MB. Single line plans are gone.  I need to do exactly what you are trying to do. Will someone please post a valid answer with some authority?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You can not do this through Apple. But very simply as the OP said, get the device on the eligible line. Get it activated with a data plan. Call VZW or online do some phone swaps and all will be exactly how the OP stated.

There is a post from today or yesterday from a VZW employee stating the same as I

0 Likes
jessmpgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty sure you can only view the "Share Everything" plans on Apple's website because those are the only plans available to NEW Verizon customers. Once you log into your account to check eligibility on Friday, it should show you the plan that you are currently on. I do know that you don't have to switch to a "Share Everything" plan if you already and existing customer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Apple is considered a 3rd party retailer. They do not have the option to keep your old plan.

0 Likes
jessmpgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you know where that post is? Thanks for the help

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Not off hand. You'll have to use the search option for iPhone 5 and use the date filter.

0 Likes
mjnike45

Here is a post with a Verizon Rep affirming the ability to use that loophole.  https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/780799

0 Likes
black562

This just worked for my during a preorder.  Ordered on the dumb phone line and didn't make me change plans.

0 Likes