Upgrade to iphone 5 and keep unlimited data from an old blackberry?
phild9590

To Whom this may concern,

I currently have a family plan with 5 lines (1 basic phone, 2 iphone 4s, and 1 blackberry bold). Both iphone 4s phones have 2gb of Internet data a month and the blackberry has unlimited internet data. I have 2 upgrades on my family plan, the iphone 4s and blackberry. If I transfer the upgrade from the 4s to the basic phone and then get the new iphone 5 from the basic phone upgrade (I would have to get the 2gb data plan when i purchase iphone 5 for the contract price), can I then put the iphone 5 on the blackberry line (basically just switch phones) to keep my unlimited data, then put the basic phone back where it was and cancel the 2gb data plan (not get charged the $30 for the month)? I have read and heard that this can happen and was wondering if I could do it.

Any help and if would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Thanks Guys

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade to iphone 5 and keep unlimited data from an old blackberry?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

phild9590 wrote:

To Whom this may concern,

I currently have a family plan with 5 lines (1 basic phone, 2 iphone 4s, and 1 blackberry bold). Both iphone 4s phones have 2gb of Internet data a month and the blackberry has unlimited internet data. I have 2 upgrades on my family plan, the iphone 4s and blackberry. If I transfer the upgrade from the 4s to the basic phone and then get the new iphone 5 from the basic phone upgrade (I would have to get the 2gb data plan when i purchase iphone 5 for the contract price), can I then put the iphone 5 on the blackberry line (basically just switch phones) to keep my unlimited data, then put the basic phone back where it was and cancel the 2gb data plan (not get charged the $30 for the month)? I have read and heard that this can happen and was wondering if I could do it.

Any help and if would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Thanks Guys

If the iPhone 4S, already has the 2GB data plan and it is eligible for an upgrade, why don't you order the iPhone 5 on that line?  You would extend the contract on the iPhone 4S line and then you can use the iPhone 5 on the BlackBerry line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
phild9590

Hey Ann thanks for reply.

I was eligible for an upgrade on the iphone 4s in April 2012 (from another upgrade), that is my daughter's line. Would this then extend the 4s an extra 2 years if i do this? Would this be easier?

Also the way I explained earlier would that work to get unlimited data for iphone 5? Even though the unlimited data plan is for blackberry?

Anyone else can gladly jump in   Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you transfer an upgrade on "Line A" to use on "Line B", the contract is extended on "Line A" and the phone is activated on "Line B". 

Your way sounds like transfer upgrade on "Line A" to "Line B", order phone on "line B" and activate new phone on "Line C".  Unless, I'm reading that incorrectly.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
phild9590

Yes that is exactly what I want to do, Thanks for clarifying I did not know whenever you transfer an upgrade to another phone the contract is extended on that phone it is transferring from.

In terms of keeping my unlimited data (from my blackberry phone), if I did it the way you said in the beginning, would it work?

Thanks Ann

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.  Just don't upgrade the BlackBerry line by purchasing a phone at the subsidized price.  That means that you can't even transfer the upgrade to another line.  Eventually the BlackBerry line will be out of contract and on a month to month plan.

phild9590

Thanks Ann for your help. I appreciate it. Couple more questions, I plan to order iphone 5 online through my verizon. So When i do indeed get the iphone 5 in my hands, what do you advise me to do?

a) go online and go to "switch device option"  put the esn number (of new iphone 5)  through my phone number that had the blackberry and would it work that way?

or

b) contact a service rep on phone or in store

How would you do it? and does the plan or phone # for the iphone 4s change at all if i do this?

Sorry for the many questions Ann, you have been a huge help, thanks for answering all my posts accordingly.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest reading the other discussions that cover similar situations in the iPhone 5 space here. 

0 Likes
phild9590

ok, thanks again for all your help

0 Likes