Upgrade transfer concern?
brianb615

I have an ipad on my account that was eligible for an upgrade so I transferred that upgrade to my personal line when preordering the iphone 5 yesterday. The online system seemed to go smoothly even asking me about the current plan on my personal line. However, I just looked at the order confirmation and it shows my ipad phone number instead of the number I transferred the upgrade to during the order process, Is this normal, or did I unknowingly do something wrong? Hearing that these phones have Sim cards worries me that I will have ti do a lot of legwork to fix this if it went wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade transfer concern?
brianb615

Anyone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

brian615, that's pretty cool that you were able to upgrade to the iPhone 5! The situation that you are describing is quite common when performing an alternate upgrade. It is very simple to adjust. When the iPhone 5 arrives just activate in on the line that was eligible to upgrade, then activate the iPhone 5 on the line that you want it to be used on. The important part is to activate it on the line that the upgrade is for. You can activate the devices here: http://bit.ly/xB4iTc ^SP

0 Likes
wgriffiths2
Enthusiast - Level 3

In response to the Verizon Wireless Customer Support member who posted above.  It is not as easy as they say.  If you are trying to use a different line instead of the line you upgraded and you activate it on the upgrade line, you will have to wait until Verizon gets nano sim cards in to change to your line you want.  Once you activate your phone on the original upgrade line, the nano sim is now programmed to that phone number which prevents you from using another number.  Verizon stores dont have the nano sims in yet and it could be a few weeks before they actually get them.  I am very displeased because this happened to me and the Verizon reps told me I would easily be able to transfer my phone over after activating. 

0 Likes
wgriffiths2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well yea of course its easy when you havent activated it.  Point I am making is that the customer service team continues to tell everyone that to just activate it and then they can switch it.  If I would have known before hand, I sure as heck wouldnt have activated my phone on the line I did.  Thats why I am irritated with it and I am sure others are as well.  If you havent activated it make sure to call and have CS switch it. 

wgriffiths2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait.. What do you mean AD stage?  Please let me know some more info on this because I will wait for this if thats the case lol

0 Likes
mcjake333
Enthusiast - Level 3

Adam,

I just spoke with a CSR from Verizon and she said that this is incorrect info (I specifically mentioned your scenario).  I am trying to switch my phone over to an unlimited date line that I have and the only way to accomplish this is to use a NEW sim card.  Since no store has them in stock I had to order one from the CSR.  I will be getting it around Wednesday of next week; a small price to pay for keeping unlimited data I suppose.

0 Likes
Drinkie46
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have simply had the run around from various Verizon reps today, and also my local store, who pointed me to Apple to fix the scenario listed above. My shiny new device arrived around 11am this morning, I called within an hour to Verizon as I was putting the phone on my line, however the upgrade was purchased on another eligible line on my plan. The VZW lady was very nice told me she had to activate the 5 on the upgrade eligible line, then simply swap over the 5 to the line I wanted it on. She got so far and then told me she could not activate it against my line after activating it agains the eligible line. She told me the only way to fix this was to go to my local store and get a new sim card from them. I went to the store and they told me they have not been allocated any sim cards, and to go to the Apple store to get this resolved. Before setting out I called the local Apple store and they correctly told me this is a carrier issue and they could not resolve it for me. I then made three separate calls to VZW support and was told variations of the line that you need to leave the sim to age for 24 hours and it would be able to be re-registered to the right number. So despite ordering in advance and waiting home from work to get the phone, I am sat here on Friday night looking at my suddenly old looking 4 and wondering when the new 5 still in the box will actually work - I have limited confidence the aging theory is correct but have almost no options but to wait until 24 hours is up and try again to register the device - can you say shambles Verizon?

0 Likes
mcjake333
Enthusiast - Level 3

Adam,

You are completely correct.  You will never believe this BUT the rep that told me that it wasn't possible literally just called me back and told me that she just got sent a company wide bulletin that explains that it is possible to do exactly what you explained.  My apologies for doubting you, I stand corrected. Smiley Happy  I am pretty impressed she called back and admitted she was wrong, but I am super happy this means that I will not have to wait 5 days for a new sim to come.  I will go into a Verizon store tomorrow and have them do it.

Do you have any tips that I need to mention to the store rep in order for me to do this switch and retain my unlimited data or should they know how?

THanks for your info and again, SORRY.

0 Likes
napereira
Enthusiast - Level 3

All I did was call up Verizon.  Explained the situation nicely to them that no local VZW stores had the sim cards in stock.   They immediately offered to overnight one to me (Saturday delivery) and it has already shipped.  I have had excellent service from them so far.  I'm sorry you've had so much trouble but the phone is worth it!

0 Likes