Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weak signal strength readings on iPhone 5 compared with 4s?
vreihen

My new personal iPhone 5 came in Friday.  I live in an LTE area.  I am also the lucky bearer of the emergency on-call iPhone 4s from work this weekend, which is also on Verizon.  Neither phone is in a case.  Wherever I am in the house, the signal strength on the iPhone 5 reads around -108dB, whereas putting the iPhone 4s in the same exact location shows that it is averaging -85dB.  This is a little bit more than "what's a couple of dB between friends" in my books.

Technical mumbo jumbo aside, I was wondering if anyone who has used both the 4/4s and 5 in the same locations has noticed any problems with call quality or data throughput with their new iPhone 5?  It seems to work for me despite the low readings, but I am curious if anyone has discovered places where their new 5 can't make phone calls where their 4/4s would?

My first thought was to try updating the PRL table in the new phone, but from posts on here it appears that Verizon doesn't use the old *228 trick any more with LTE devices.  Is there a way to force an update buried somewhere in the settings menus that I missed?????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Weak signal strength readings on iPhone 5 compared with 4s?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

The iPhone 5 might be registering the LTE network at -108 dBm level. Where the iPhone 4S is likely seeing the CDMA 1xRTT voice network level of -85 dBm.

The two network types can have different strength readings on the Android phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vreihen

Good catch!  I disabled LTE on the iPhone 5, and the reported signal strength shot up to -92.  Guess it helps to be comparing apples to apples (no pun intended).  Thank you for helping me figure this out.....

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Novice

Agreed. LTE reading will usually be "RSRP" while 3G will be "RSSI". RSRP reading should on average be 20-23 dBm lower than RSSI.  WIth that said, -108dBm is a pretty poor LTE signal (not much different than I get at home in a "strong VZW LTE area", which actually means my iPhone 5 spends more time locked on 3G here than actually on LTE. Out of curiosity, what type of speedtest.net performance results do you see with -108dBm. My experience is that your transfer rates will be very low with this signal strength on the iPhone 5.

0 Likes
vreihen

At -109 dBm this afternoon, I pulled 14.00 Mbps down and 0.92 Mbps up over LTE.  I'm not in an urban area, and the nearest tower is about 3 miles away with lots of leafy trees between us.  I'm getting better throughput over LTE than I am through my cable modem with a wired link, so I'm not concerned with the signal strength reading.....

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

PeteBoston wrote:

Agreed. LTE reading will usually be "RSRP" while 3G will be "RSSI". RSRP reading should on average be 20-23 dBm lower than RSSI.  WIth that said, -108dBm is a pretty poor LTE signal (not much different than I get at home in a "strong VZW LTE area", which actually means my iPhone 5 spends more time locked on 3G here than actually on LTE. Out of curiosity, what type of speedtest.net performance results do you see with -108dBm. My experience is that your transfer rates will be very low with this signal strength on the iPhone 5.

I was getting at a minimum 5600 kbps down and 3000 kbps up  and ping rate of 126 ms with a -108 dBm 32 asu.  I can still get a stable LTE connection at -111 dBm 29 asu LTE although it is much slower.  I could post a picture of a screenshot, but i don't feel like uploading it from my phone right now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RV3

I am in the same situation, but when I turn off LTE I still see -110 to -109 where my iPhone 4 is pulling -80 -85 signal.

I also noticed that WiFi signal is lower at the same distance from the router.

Should I return the iPhone 5 to Apple as a defect?

Please advise.

0 Likes
gingy18

how do I change from the LTE ? having problems also in the house. was perfect with the 4s.

0 Likes