When my friend upgrades to Iphone 5 shes using her mom's upgrade. She wants to know how to get the number
Dan50

to transfer to her phone even though she is using her mom's phone as the upgrade. If she calls Verizon does she have to enter her own number or her mom's? Can she still get her number transferred into her phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When my friend upgrades to Iphone 5 shes using her mom's upgrade. She wants to know how to get the number
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I still had an unlimited data plan from years ago.

I was able to keep it because I didn't upgrade my phone number which has the unlimited plan - I upgraded my wife's line which previously had a "dumb" phone on it without a data plan. By not upgrading my line, I'm still operating under my existing contract so my unlimited plan is still "grandfathered" in.

When I upgraded my wife's line, I had to add a 2GB data plan to her line. But when the phone arrived, I moved my iphone 4 to my wife's line and had the iPhone 5 activated on my line, thus getting the new phone, but keeping my unlimited data plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: When my friend upgrades to Iphone 5 shes using her mom's upgrade. She wants to know how to get the number
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did something similar, ordering the iPhone 5 using my wife's upgrade. What worked for me was when the phone arrived, before turning the iPhone 5 on, I called VZW customer service and had the CSR switch the iPhone 5 to my phone number. Then I turned on the phone and activated it on my phone line. It all worked fine and I was able to keep my unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

I upgraded my wife's phone, which was eligible for the discount, and when it arrive, I transferred it to my line. I really do not think it matter which line you input when you call but I would input the line you are calling about (i.e. the line you want to transfer the phone to). The VZW operator often asks to verify information anyhow. The main things are DO NOT turn on the i5 when you get it and before transferring it to the intended line. This has caused issues for some where it would take a day or so to activate since the activation process is already taking place on the line the phone was ordered under. Secondly, call from a phone number other than the one you would like the phone transferred to. They will need the intended line/phone cut off so they can make the transfer. You and you mom will want to be able to speak if you're not on the same account. I'm sure they will need to speak with the account owner(s) or someone authorized to make changes on the account. And you will want to have your SIM #. This can be found on the receipt you received in the box with the phone. 

0 Likes
Dan50

So whenever she needs to talk to the verizon customer rep, does she just enter her number not her moms, it would still say iphone 5 when she enters her number on the automatic system thing?

0 Likes
Dan50

How did you get unlimited data plan on yours seems like they are switching everyone to a 2 gig plan.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I still had an unlimited data plan from years ago.

I was able to keep it because I didn't upgrade my phone number which has the unlimited plan - I upgraded my wife's line which previously had a "dumb" phone on it without a data plan. By not upgrading my line, I'm still operating under my existing contract so my unlimited plan is still "grandfathered" in.

When I upgraded my wife's line, I had to add a 2GB data plan to her line. But when the phone arrived, I moved my iphone 4 to my wife's line and had the iPhone 5 activated on my line, thus getting the new phone, but keeping my unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

When she calls, don't call the activation number, nor go through the automated activation process.

Call the standard customer server number (it's on the receipt) directly from a phone other then the 2 she wants to switch.

When she calls the customer service number, she can enter her phone number and then explain to the CSR what she wants to do.

0 Likes
Dan50

Can you explain it a lil clearer. Also my friend has unlimited data atm but her mom doesn't. She also has unlimited texting but her mom doesn't as well. Could still still have the unlimited data plan she has now?

0 Likes
KM536986

So they didn't give you any issues with that? I'm doing the same thing but had the feeling they would still take my unlimited data away.

0 Likes
rrankins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope - no issues at all. I still have my unlimited plan.

I think the reason it works is because the new contract (with the 2GB data plan) was done on my wife's line and didn't count as an upgrade to my line with the unlimited data.

I think as long as they are getting their money/new contract on the upgraded line, they don't care what line you are actually using the phone on.

0 Likes