Why am I using so much more data?
jtp1513

I transferred from a family plan in January 2015. Previously, I had an Iphone 4 with unlimited data. I would stream a radio app for about a
hour and a half every day, never turned off data usage, and never needed to reset the statistics on my phone. While on the unlimited data, I never came
close to using 2GB of data in a month. When I upgraded my phone to the Iphone 5S, I was forced to give up my unlimited data. I went with the 2GB plan because based on my previous usage, it made the most sense. After the first month I quickly realized that I could no longer stream the radio on my phone because for some reason, it was all of the sudden draining my data. I always close my apps, rarely play any videos, turn off data usage for apps i dont use, and turn off the data entirely when I’m in a location with wifi. When analyzing the data usage, if I forget to turn off the data when I’m at home, I notice there is data usage when I’m sleeping(all apps closed). Each month I reset the statistics on my phone and the data info provided on my phone
is not equal to that of the data provided by Verizon. To me, it seems rather strange that the moment I lost unlimited data, my data usage spiked. I can no
longer use my phone the way I use to, unless I pay for MORE data. Is there any explanation as to why I was able to stream the radio for 25 hours a month with unlimited data and never use 2GB of data and now that I paying for a 2GB plan that I can’t stream anything for fear of using too much data? Ultimately, I’m paying more money now and receiving far less.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: data usage
Weth
Legend

Exactly mama23dogs!   Expect 2 to 2.5 times more data going from 3G to 4G. Even more if you use lots of video.  You can make setting changes to your music and video apps to stream at lower rates.  You can also turn off LTE so you have a 3G phone again, and prove it is the faster data. 

4G LTE will use twice as much data as 3G, plan ahead

View solution in original post

mama23dogs
Legend

You upgraded from a 3 G to a 4G phone.  Video will stream in HD on your new phone, audio will stream in higher quality also.  You can do more in the same amount of time on a 4 G phone.

the estimate is a 4 G phone will use 2.5 times the data of a 3 G phone.  Google it if you need confirmation.

Weth
Legend

Exactly mama23dogs!   Expect 2 to 2.5 times more data going from 3G to 4G. Even more if you use lots of video.  You can make setting changes to your music and video apps to stream at lower rates.  You can also turn off LTE so you have a 3G phone again, and prove it is the faster data. 

4G LTE will use twice as much data as 3G, plan ahead

jtp1513

Thanks for the info! I will turn the 4G LTE off starting next month and see if this helps.

0 Likes
jtp1513

Thanks for the info. I'll turn off the 4G LTE.

0 Likes