Why can't I use POP e-mail?
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

While trying to setup my Cox email account using POP on a new iPhone 5s,

the only option I am presented with is IMAP. I don't want to use IMAP.

How do I get it to allow me to use POP rather than IMAP ?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cox POP email
GetThisPhoneToWork
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will assume your email name is xyz@cox.net.

Going to Cox’s online instructions:

1. Settings.
  2. 2. Mail, Contacts, Calendars;  Add Account
  3. Other
  4. Add Mail Account
  5. Enter in the account information EXCEPT use xyz@cox.nex (note mis-spelling of net)

This is the crucial step – miss-spelling cox.net bypassed cox’s automatic processing. 

(I’m not sure what I did for “Description” – if it does not work with Cox in there try again with some nonsense letters.)  At some point I had to edit the miss-spelling back to the correct “cox.net”, I don’t remember when, but think it was at step 7.  When you hit Next you will get the Step 6 OK.

1. If this works, hit POP and continue on with the instructions, as on the cox’s web site.
  2. Enter incoming info.
  3. Enter outgoing info.
  4. Hit Save.

(I’m sorry if these instructions are not perfect, I tried so many random methods that I don’t remember exactly what I did in the final step.)

This was done on my wife’s phone, with my phone opened to settings so I knew what to use.  If you don’t have these settings I will summarized them:

Incoming:

Host Name: pop.cox.net

User Name: xyz

Password: --------

SMTP:

Host Name: smtp.cox.net

User Name: xyz

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Enter User Name (xyz) and Password (-----) –this will set the Port to 465.

Advanced:

Should have Port 995 on Incoming Settings

If you have trouble let me know and I might be brave enough to delete her account and try again, writing down the steps as I try it.

(Is this works, thank the tech support in Santa Barbara, who suggested the first step of using a miss-spelling.)

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello richie72846!

Lets get that Cox e-mail set up!From the iPhone or iPad home screen, tap Settings.Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then Add Account. Tap Other. Tap Add Mail Account. Enter Name, Cox.net email Address, Password, and Description, then tap Next or Save. Tap POP or IMAP. Under Incoming Mail Server, enter the incoming mail server settings, user name, and password. Host Name - Your incoming mail server. Under Outgoing Mail Server, enter the outgoing mail server settings, user name, and password.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

After I enter account address, password and description and tap next, the next screen says IMAP only. It does not give me a choice, that's the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying Richie72846

I'm sorry its not showing Pop. Here's a great link from Cox on how to add the email account. Pls try the manual steps: http://bit.ly/1iiDIRq

Sincerely,
JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @ VZWSupport

0 Likes
GetThisPhoneToWork
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having this trouble with my wife's iPhone 4, just updated to IOS 7 (or whatever it was). Your reply in step 3 is circular, because the steps in Verizon (http://bit.ly/1iiDIRq) are the same as in step 2.  The trouble is at the end of step 5 of the Verizon manual mode installation - "next" sends you to a screen with IMAP on the top, and no way to change it. There is no way to change it - and POP does not appear anywhere. You can hit Cancel, and it cancels the whole process, or Save, and it goes back to the original Setting/Mail, Contacts, Calendars screen, with the Cox account now shown.  The account now works, but as IMAP - I need POP because I do not want the e-mail being deleted from the server when my wife looks at the emails on her iPhone.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Just as "GetThisPhoneToWork" posted, this is exactly what is happening to me. It also is exactly the same on my new iPad Mini. Please investigate and get back to me with a fix.

richie

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

richie72846,

I'm sorry these steps aren't creating the correct setup for you! If you try to add any other email account, is the POP option also missing? After step 5, IMAP and POP should be at the top of the screen in blue. The box that is fully blue is the option that is selected.

Are you up to date on your software? Please visit Settings, General, and select Software Update. You should be on iOS 7.1. Does your wife have the same device? Is she having the same trouble with email?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

>> If you try to add any other email account, is the POP option also missing?<<

Yes, and it is also missing if I try to add another account on my new iPad mini.

>>After step 5, IMAP and POP should be at the top of the screen in blue.<<

I know, but only IMAP is showing.

>> Are you up to date on your software? <<

Yes, that's the first thing I did. It's 7.1 on all devices.

>> Does your wife have the same device? Is she having the same trouble with email?<<

Yes she is.

richie

0 Likes
GetThisPhoneToWork
Enthusiast - Level 2

In trying to resolve this I went to the Verizon outlet where they originally setup the phones - they couldn't help.

I then went to Apple - got an appointment for tech support on Saturday. They said this issue is under the control of Cox.  I went to Cox, but they do not have tech support on the weekend.

One thing the Apple tech did say was that if you mistype the server (I used pop.cox.nex instead of net on the end) you will get the POP/IMAP choice - and this was true.  However I have not gotten the account to fully work yet - maybe others might have better luck.

Another thing i just noticed is that the Cox instructions have the Automatic and Manual modes - the Automatic mode has 5 steps only, but they are identical to the first 5 steps of the Manual mode - so how is the phone to know we are trying to do a Manual mode setup?  My gut feeling is that some important first step is missing from the Cox instructions.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

GetThisPhoneToWork said,

>>Another thing i just noticed is that the Cox instructions have the Automatic and Manual modes - the Automatic mode has 5 steps only, but they are identical to the first 5 steps of the Manual mode - so how is the phone to know we are trying to do a Manual mode setup?<<

I noticed the same thing, there's no difference between auto and manual. I don't know if this is a Verizon glitch or Cox problem. I really think Verizon and Cox need to get together. I emailed Cox text support and that was a waste of time. I can tell their response to me goes to an automatic response and their answer makes no sense at all.  At least Verizon is working with us.

richie

0 Likes