Why can't my son connect our home wireless with his Iphone5?
JohnbCoug

All of a sudden, my son cannot connect to our how wireless with is Iphone 5 with IOS 7. He can go to a friend's house and connect just fine but when he tries to connect to our home network, he gets this message after a while of spinning "Unable to join the network "home wireless name". All of our other devices connect just fine. It just started happening about 2 weeks ago. He has been able to connect in the past with IOS 7, so I don't think that is the problem.

Thanks!

Johnb Coug

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't my son connect our home wireless with his Iphone5?
Not applicable

Verizon Customer Service gave some great advice. In certain cases the iphone 5s and others just don't connect as they did before. If you turn off your home router, modem and the iphone wait a few minutes and then turn on the modem first, let it completely recycle up. Then the same for your router, and then turn on the new iphone and then go into settings, wifi and see if it finds your network name. if it does click on your home network, it will ask for the ssid password for your network. Enter it exactly and click join. If you are on all is well.

Now if it still cannot find your network, it may be necessary to update the firmware for the router or the broadband modem or both. if that works you are then ok.

If it doesn't work you may need to purchase a new router which run from $40 up to $300 I use a new Netgear A-C-G-N router and its the higher price but it works great.

If the broadband modem is leased from your cable or fios company they can update the firmware or send you a more up to date modem.

I have read that if your security settings are WPA/WPA2  you may have to lower your security protocol .

Good Luck

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this JohnbCoug! Are other devices able to connect to your home wifi? Is your home internet provider (which provider) the same as his friend's provider? Please try power cycling your router and his phone, test and share. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Auntiesam

I am having the same problem with the new 5S I got today?  I had a 4 and it worked fine.

Did you ever get this resolved?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon Customer Service gave some great advice. In certain cases the iphone 5s and others just don't connect as they did before. If you turn off your home router, modem and the iphone wait a few minutes and then turn on the modem first, let it completely recycle up. Then the same for your router, and then turn on the new iphone and then go into settings, wifi and see if it finds your network name. if it does click on your home network, it will ask for the ssid password for your network. Enter it exactly and click join. If you are on all is well.

Now if it still cannot find your network, it may be necessary to update the firmware for the router or the broadband modem or both. if that works you are then ok.

If it doesn't work you may need to purchase a new router which run from $40 up to $300 I use a new Netgear A-C-G-N router and its the higher price but it works great.

If the broadband modem is leased from your cable or fios company they can update the firmware or send you a more up to date modem.

I have read that if your security settings are WPA/WPA2  you may have to lower your security protocol .

Good Luck

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new device, Auntiesam. I wish you weren't having these problems, but we do want to check all avenues.
Have you been able to update the router or complete some steps that Elector suggested?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes