Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data?
Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since upgrading to my iPhone 5 several months ago, I am averaging almost 2g of data per month (right at my limit), and that's only because I'm really careful about it and don't stream music, videos, etc; and I have wi-fi on most of the time.  Before, I had an iPhone 4 and never had this problem - I probably used 500MB/month max.  It seems strange that I lost my unlimited data plan when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and consequently began having all of these issues.  I cannot figure out where the excessive data usage is coming from.  Please don't say I need to use the data less, because I promise that's not the problem.  I use it the same amount as I did my previous phone.  Is anyone else having these issues?  Could it be a phone and/or operating system problem?  Is it some setting I need to change?  Please help!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data??
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Have you checked the Settings under "Cellular" to see what apps are using Cellular Data and how much they are using?

That's the place to start. Under each app listed under "Use Cellular Data", it will show how much data that app has used.

And you can selectively turn apps off and on in terms of using Cellular Data.

Also, check (again under Settings), "iTunes & App Store" and turn off or on "Automatic Downloads" and turn off "Use Cellular Data".

View solution in original post

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Have you checked the Settings under "Cellular" to see what apps are using Cellular Data and how much they are using?

That's the place to start. Under each app listed under "Use Cellular Data", it will show how much data that app has used.

And you can selectively turn apps off and on in terms of using Cellular Data.

Also, check (again under Settings), "iTunes & App Store" and turn off or on "Automatic Downloads" and turn off "Use Cellular Data".

Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I did that, but I don't necessarily want to turn off cellular data for my apps. That would defeat the purpose of my phone kind of. I just think it is strange that it is using so much data anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

...also it seems to be using data even when I'm at home and have wifi turned on.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Not applicable

This can happen and ttipgem suggestion of turning cellular data off while at home will cure that.

I turn off all cellular data while at home. Its an annoyance but you get use to it.

My apologies ttipgem for jumping in

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yeah I'm not saying to turn off data for all apps just to use that function to see what apps might be using excessive data.

Also if you are using a lot of cellular data when you think you should be using WiFi (a little bit is to be expected), try "Reset Networks" on the device. Also try rebooting your router.

0 Likes
Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

But why is it happening? It never happened before. Makes me want to go back to an iPhone 4

Sent from my iPhone 5

0 Likes
Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I will try these things. It's frustrating not to be able to use my phone for pandora, etc if I want to. I appreciate your responses!

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the concern for having a higher bill due to more data usage Michelle1982. Our share plans can work for you and provide you with the option to increase your plan and decrease it when needed. Higher usage would alarm me to but know that 4g devices are much faster and have better graphics for apps, videos, email, etc. This will definitely use more data because your downloading and uploading a better quality of picture, sound for music, and better quality apps. You also use more data from a 3g to 4g phone. We recommend using wifi when ever available, closing apps when not being used, and being aware what you download. The last option is to add more data. Here is a link with our plans http://bit.ly/xdDajD . Please let me know if you have any questions.

KinquanaH_VZw

0 Likes
Michelle1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

I absolutely refuse to buy a higher plan.  Not when I'm not doing anything to cause the higher data usage.  I understand 4g would use a little more data than 3g, but not that much more (I'm using about 4x as much and doing less with it).  I used to be able to stream music, etc, when I had my iPhone 4, and I can't do that anymore because if I did I would reach my data limit.  It's kind of funny that this all happened when Verizon took away my unlimited data plan. 

So, please do not try to sell me a higher data plan.  Not going to happen.  What I am looking for is an answer as to what is wrong with my phone and why I'm not able to use it the way I would like to.  No one I talk to even comes close to using 2G of data in a month, so something must be going on with it. 

I've tried all of the tricks mentioned in this discussion, so we will see how it goes, but so far it appears that the data usage is about the same.  I've resorted to turning off cellular data for most of my apps, but that is not going to work long-term (or else why would I even be paying for a smart phone).  I'm almost certain something is going on with my phone, whether it be with the phone itself or the operating system, that is causing this.  I need some suggestions on who can look at it for me.