Re: Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data??
Not applicable

http://www.apple.com under support go to the community forums for your device, search the database and see what Apple and other owners have found out or used for a fix.

Good Luck

0 Likes
jhaley82

Im experiencing the exact same problem.  I spoke to Verizon about it and they told me to turn off my cell data when I'm at home, but I'm still seeing usage in the middle of the night, and a spike in usage as soon as I wake up and turn my phone on.  The girl at Verizon told me it was Candy Crush.  Which I'm starting to believe is horse manure.  And I cannot believe that Kinquana suggested for you to buy a higher data plan.  I smell a conspiracy!  I've had my 5 since December of last year and have not changed any of my habits and all of the sudden my data is at the limit each month. I'm actually to the point of writing down when and why I use my phone and comparing it to the data usage listed on my verizon account to verify.  VERY FRUSTRATING!

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

jhaley82, have you looked in the Settings under Cellular to see exactly how much data each app is using?

Is there anything there that looks like it is using too much data?

PS, "all of a sudden" rather than "all of the sudden".

0 Likes
paulvina

I had to port over after being stationed in an area with no AT&T coverage. I had an iPhone 4S then 5S with AT&T and NEVER had a date issue. I've had my Verizon iPhone 5S for less than a week and have already burned my ENTIRE 2GB of data. They're going to get a call tomorrow and I'll likely be swapping my phone out as well. This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
thndrchf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Michelle-  I had the exact same problem with my ip5, so I feel your frustration..I ended up with a thousand dollar bill from that dang phone; and I wasn't downloading or doing anything but looking at my calendar, fb and texting.  I was informed by a cell phone guy that manages the devices at the white house, that the 'LTE' software will constantly draw data, whether on wifi or not.  So if you go into your settings menu under data use, you can turn off the LTE and still be on the 4G network so it won't use 'as much' data.  Also if you double click the home button it will show you all of the apps that are open.  You can scroll through and exit out of them by sliding up with your finger on each app.  This should help you.  Also, if you're downloading apps, songs or streaming videos; look at the size of the before downloading, it may be huah of you to wait till you're on a wifi network to download or enjoy your entertainment.  If you travel into an area where you may have limited coverage at all; turn off your settings to cellular use only; to save yourself from the hit and miss data surges when searching for service.  Your phone will use data when roaming and searching for service.  FYI.  Hope this helps. 

shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

Well when you first set up service and setting up a new device, if you arent on wifi, the process of activation and setting up will use ALOT of data. 2nd, like the rep was saying the amoutn of data you use on a 3g phone like an iphone 4 or 4s and a 5 or 5s is going to be different. You are running on 2 different speeds of data. So yes, when you had unlimited you probably were only using less than 2 gigs because you had a 3g phone.

Florida7188
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is problem with the new iOS7.  The apps are constantly refreshed and it will consume massive amounts of data.

Go into Settings - General - Background Refresh and turn it Off.

emac30

i have the same problem also. i am really starting to get fed up with it. i had unlimited data before i upgraded to this phone and never went over 2g. the first month i had the phone i went almost to 5g. i find it hard to believe seeing as i am not using my phone any more or less than the 4 that i had. it seems a little too coincidental that this seems to be happening to me as SOON as i do not have unlimited data. i have jsut had to up my data AGAIN so i do not go over. and it has only been 2 weeks. Verizon really needs to come up with a solution to this problem like maybe unlimited data again because it is really unfair

0 Likes
ArlenM

I also just got a new iPhone 5s. I had the 2GB plan and this month I have gone over at the very end of the billing cycle.

I am pretty sure it is connected with my email. For some reason the email attachments download automatically and I am not yet sure how to turn it off. I am pretty sure that is what is causing the higher usage for me. If anyone knows where I can turn it off I will be most grateful. Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ArlenM,

You are using one of my favorite devices! Let's get your data under control. To stop your email from automatically downloading is quite easy! Go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then scroll down to where it says Fetch New Data, find your email account and change it from Fetch to Manual. This will allow you to pull your own messages. Keep us posted if you need anything else.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes