Re: Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data??
achap78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah we're absolutely done with Verizon, probably going to switch to Sprint today. I hate switching though, I'm a very brand loyal customer in general, and I always feel so uncertain when switching services. I like what Sprint's pitching with their "all-in," unlimited plan. They promise unlimited text, talk, and data for $110 a month; but I can't help feeling like I'm missing the micro print on the contract. Plus, Sprint's right in the middle of revamping their entire network for LTE, so their's the question of coverage and service quality. I don't see any other choice though, Verizon's soaking us for tons of money every month. Even if we are consuming the load of data they purport, I still believe its terrible they're willing to hose their loyal customers with high fees. I'm facing two options:  a switch to Sprint; or quit using my devices entirely while still paying for service. Choice is clear, bout to take another leap of faith to Sprint.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sprints everything plan for life is $65 plus taxes and surcharges. That is if you want to purchase a phone over time, and no contract. You will get a $100 off each line you port over. If you take the unlimited talk and text at $50 and add unlimited for $30 you pay $90.03 per month after you pay a small price for your device and sign a two year contract.

Its true Sprint has now started a push for 4 G LTE but if they acquire T-Mobile that issue will be greatly expanded since they will have LTE in places they did not have it before. Just pick the right plan to save some money. http://www.sprint.com

My friend has them and he says he gets mostly 3G where he lives, but it is stable and unlimited. Says customer service is great, but I have read its just so so in that case only other customers can say if its good or bad. Also check coverage.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Intervention

Like everyone else, I've had the same issue with data usage since recently upgrading to the iPhone 5s.  I previously had a droid razor maxx, and NEVER ONCE used more than 1 gb of data.  In less than a month with the iPhone I've used 6 GB!!!!!!!  Also like many of you, I've made all the adjustments and changes suggested by Verizon customer service, which unfortunately did not resolve the issue.  Also, like many of you, I almost always use wifi.  That aside, what's the point In having a smartphone if you have to disable all of it's functions?  

HERE IS THE MOST UNFORTUNATE THING IN ALL OF THIS.....IVE BEEN LOYAL VERIZON CUSTOMER (previously alltel) FOR YEARS, AND HAVE RECEIVED NO HELP AT ALL FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE.   I HAVE LITERALLY BEGGED FOR AN ANSWER AND ACHIEVED NOTHING BUT MORE FRUSTRATION, LIKE MANY OF YOU HERE.  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONDS TO THIS POST, IF AT ALL.  HOW DISAPPOINTING!!!!  ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ANOTHER CARRIER IN NC?????  IM DEFINITELY CHANGING IF THIS IS NOT RESOLVED THIS WEEK. 

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

Wow I have had nothing but good things from Verizon sometimes a little slow to get little things worked out for me but if you go I wish you the best. The one main reason I plan on keeping they have 4G in more areas than any other provider out there. I do not have an iPhone so I see what my usage is and I been watching it and looks right for best I can tell. I do wish they would just bring back unlimited. Sprint and other providers are going to grab some of their customers if this is not done soon. I know many people that still have their unlimited plan. I guess they are the lucky ones. I do wish I could get unlimited and I wish they would stop letting straight talk piggy back off their towers. As I look at them and they are using the same towers I am and they are using unlimited data with the same speed I am. And it frustrates the hell out of me because a lot more than they do.

0 Likes
Not applicable

However Straight talk has unlimited data but its not really unlimited. They drop the speeds. The verizon wireless customers get priority so its not really the same.

I still have unlimited, but I use very little just a few kilobytes not megabytes or gigabytes. Yet its unlimited. And I have two iphones and I don't have any of the issues I read on the forums. My wife uses a gigabyte maybe a little more. But we mostly use WiFi. Strange very strange.

Good Luck

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Heres what I have had to do to keep cellular data in control... basically dial back my 5c and turn off all smart-features, only activating them as I need it.

Since doing these steps my data use is barely .35-4G per cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

0 Likes
tsflash

The EXACT same thing has just happened to us!  We just added two new iPhone 5C phones to our shared data plan.  The things are using data when they are sitting idle and connected to our wi-fi!  We also have two iPhone 4S phones and one iPhone 5.  None of these three are doing this, however.  We now have dumbed down our brand new Smart Phones (which we pay $40 EACH every month) so that my daughters can't even use them as Smart Phones any more.  WHY??  This makes me very, very frustrated.  To make matters even worse, when we upgraded from 2 gig to 4 gig, the sales associate didn't do it correctly, and we LOST .5 gig on our plan and were reduced to 1.5 gig for the rest of our plan month!  We've contacted customer support twice, been assured it's been resolved, but our account STILL shows that we only have 1.5 gig on our plan. NOT. VERY. PLEASED. WITH VERIZON!

0 Likes
CathryneMarie
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of the responses Verizon is giving are a crock. I have a 4g device. When I switched from 3g to 4g, I used my device exactly the same. I didn't turn off cellular data. My data usage stayed the same. I have a Galaxy S4. I use between 1-2gb a month. That has not changed from when I had my Droid Razr to my Droid Charge, and then from my Galaxy S3 to the S4. Something is wrong with either the iPhone 5-5c-5s, or it's a problem with iOS7. I have not seen that much data usage with any other line besides someone that is constantly streaming music AND movies on 3g or 4g. Something needs to be figured out either on Apple or Verizon's end as to why these specific phones or iOS7 is using SO MUCH data. It is NOT the user's fault and they shouldn't have to increase their data plan due to a fault with the phone.

slartibart

I don't have an answer yet as to what exactly is eating up the data, but I would *not* start by blaming Verizon. Their customer reps may be incompetent and unable to actually understand your problem, but my belief is that the issue rests with the iPhone operating system. When your iPhone goes idle (that means the screen goes dark), it will turn OFF its wireless connection. (This also happens on the new mac laptops.) So, now when any of your apps need to update data (e.g. facebook updates, new emails, etc.) they need to do that update over your cellular data.

We did an experiment to prove this today. We turned off EVERY RUNNING application (i.e. double click home button, swipe up method), confirmed that wireless was connected, then let the phone sit on the table for the day unused. Tonight we just checked our data usage, and sure enough cellular data usage occurred at regular intervals during the day, some of them much more than 1MB.

Verizon does not release detailed data reports on what is being download (likely due to threat of privacy violation -- perhaps I could ask the NSA instead??), so I can only guess at what app is actually doing the downloading. However, we now know that at least one app is eating up our cellular data due absolutely NO ACTION on our part. So, please customer reps, no more suggestions about not streaming video, music, etc.

We will continue to dig into this issue and narrow down the responsible app(s) and in the worst case, switch back to Android which does not appear suffer from this issue.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's a know fact that as soon as your screen goes blank wi-fi is shut off an Iphones. So yes then you will start using data. Another reason not to get one of those things. And if your apps are on auto-update guess what, you'll end up using data. Android has a setting that only updates apps when on wi-fi and also you can shut off auto-updates altogether if the Iphone has such a setting I suggest using it.

0 Likes