Why won't Verizon iPhone send iMessage when on call and Wifi?
hockeybrian

I am new to Verizon and am aware of the simultaneous voice and data limitation, however I was under the impression that wifi would work normally while on a phone call, and it does.

However I am finding that when on a phone call, and successfully on wifi, iMessages do not get sent. They fail.

Several others have confirmed this, so why does it work this way? What about iMessages makes it not work over wifi like all other data does?

I have a iphone 5 on 6.0.1 already BTW but have no idea if it happened before with 6.0.

Brian

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why won't Verizon iPhone send iMessage when on call and Wifi?
darlamarie
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only time I have had issues sending iMessages when on wifi is if I connected to wifi while already on the phone. If I was connected wifi while not on a call the iMessages work just fine. I haven't updated to iOS 6,0.1 yet but it worked for me on iOS 5 and iOS 6.

0 Likes
hockeybrian

Yes, that's exactly why I'm posting this. It doesn't make any sense that all wifi data works on a call, but sending iMessages doesn't. I (and I would guess pretty much everyone) was under the impression that iMessages would be treated just like data and therefore would work in any situation where you have connectivity. So why don't iMessages work over wifi while on a call?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

question, are  using wifi for internet or just connected thru wifi with no webpage open while on a call? or are you hoping for a 3rd simultaneous function/im, while using wi-fi connected to internet, while on a call & want to im, cuz you do only have the one antenna.

Message was edited by: bearone 21

0 Likes
hockeybrian

It doesn't work that way. If you have a wifi connection you could be doing 15 different data things at the same time and the data would all be traveling over wifi. There is no "3rd simultaneous function" limitation.

The way it should work is voice is going over the CDMA radio and all data connections (any number of simultaneous ones) should be being handled by wifi (while on the phone which ties up the CDMA radio). This works as expected for EVERYTHING except iMessage and I want to understand why iMessage is "special"

0 Likes
ilardimj

I tried this and it worked for me.

I have an iPhone 4S 32 GB, I updated to 6.0.1 iOS yesterday.  I was at home on my wifi network which is dual band 2.4/5.0 GhZ.  I called 611 for Verizon Customer service and went to an iMessage conversation I had open with my friend.  When I sent the message the status bar went all the way to the end and stopped for about 20 seconds and then it went all the way to the end and it said message delivered.  The phone call was still in progress when the message was sent.  Then I ended the phone call.

I agree that it took a long time for the message to sent but it did work for me.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

15 different at the same time, you're dreaming.

just how does the wi-fi prioritize the various data requests?

perhaps the way you think it should work isn't the way it actually works.

0 Likes
Gaijin42

He is correct. All data is in one giant pool once you are on Wifi. The prioritization is first come first serve, unless the phone is implementing some sort of QoS at the packet level, which is very unlikely. This is the same way a full computer works, everyone sends their data broken up into small packets (Each packet is ~1k in size at maximum.)  All of those packets just go into a queue in the order they were sent, and the modem handles sending them out.

The question is if iMessage is really going over the standard data routing, or if they are still using some sort of SMS wrapper. If its just data, it shoud send/recieve without issue regardless of what other data applications are running.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

but you don't know for sure how it's being done.

isn't all data still in the giant pool when you're on 3 or 4g in terms of sending packets.

a different prioritization than wi-fi.

you're making it sound like wi-fi is some kind of magical mystery tour that provides special services .

0 Likes
Gaijin42

TCPIP is TCPIP. It doesn't matter if it is wifi, 3g, 4g, LTE, or 1XRT. 

You are very correct it is all one one giant pool either way.

That was the point of my second paragraph.  The iphone on Verizon does not do simultanious voice and data, unless you are on Wifi.

If iMessage is using SMS (which is 1xrt/3g) data, then it would not be able to send while you are on a voice call.

if iMessage is using Wifi, then it would be able to send.

0 Likes